Thread: Round Structural Member Style shows as polygon

Login to Give a bone

Question Round Structural Member Style shows as polygon

Can anyone tell me how to get round structural members to show as true circles in lieu of polygons. This is the case with both round columns that are included with ACA and with ones that I have created myself using circles.

I am using ACA 2012

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Round Structural Member Style shows as polygon

Quote Originally Posted by rcooper.269779 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to get round structural members to show as true circles in lieu of polygons. This is the case with both round columns that are included with ACA and with ones that I have created myself using circles.

I am using ACA 2012
    I don't know anything about ACA, but is this a viewres issue?
    Or are they truely polygons and not circles?

Login to Give a bone

The viewres is set to 20000.

I am not sure that it is a true polygon but instead a circle as it should be it shows as a 6, 8 or 12 sided entity depending on the diameter of the round column.

Login to Give a bone

I am using ACA 2012
    Most AEC objects, including structural members, with "curves" display as faceted approximations. You can get a closer approximation by reducing the value of AecFacetDev, which is the maximum amount that the facet can deviate from the true arc. The initial default (in the out-of-the-box settings/templates) is 0.5" for Imperial drawings. You may also want to tweak the value of AecFacetMax, which specifies the maximum number of facets permitted in one object (and, when reached, overrides the AecFacetDev setting). Valid values are 100 to 10000, with the initial default value (in the out-of-the-box settings/templates) set to 128.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks David.

I set the AecFacetDev to .005 and the columns are now 'circles'.

My next question is this: I have walls that are interupted by the round columns. When I use the column as an interference the shape of the wall takes on the 'polygon' shape around the inside of the column and both the circle and the polygon plot. Is there a similar setting for the AEC wall?

Thanks for your help. I follow many of your posts and have found you to be a wealth of knowledge.

Randy Cooper

Login to Give a bone

Thanks David.

I set the AecFacetDev to .005 and the columns are now 'circles'.

My next question is this: I have walls that are interupted by the round columns. When I use the column as an interference the shape of the wall takes on the 'polygon' shape around the inside of the column and both the circle and the polygon plot. Is there a similar setting for the AEC wall?

Thanks for your help. I follow many of your posts and have found you to be a wealth of knowledge.

Randy Cooper
    Well, I did a test with a rather large value for AecFacetDev, and the round column I created showed as round in plan, but the faceting did show up in a 3D view. When I applied it as an interference condition to a Wall, the Wall did show the faceting in plan, while the column remained round. I then changed AecFacetDev to a smaller number, but the change to the facets did not take effect immediately, even after an AutoCAD REGEN. To speed performance, ACA does not fully regenerate the model, even when an AutoCAD REGEN is done. To force the application of the new AecFacetDev setting, I had to run the ObjRelUpdate command, which forces all AEC objects to update. If you do not like typing, this can be found on the View ribbon tab, on the Appearance panel. Select the arrow part of the split button in the middle of the far right side of the panel, and then choose the Regenerate Model tool from the drop-down list. This should update the objects and increase the facets on the Wall interference.

Note that for some objects, like irregular (free-form) Mass Elements, the faceting that gets applied at the time of creation is "permanent", and will not adjust to later changes to AecFacetDev. Regular Mass Elements (Cones, Cylinders, Spheres, etc.) that have curves will respond to changes in AecFacetDev, but will likely need to have ObjRelUpdate applied for the changes to be seen.

Login to Give a bone

This works great.

Thanks for your help.