View Poll Results: Who handles your data management?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • A dedicated document manager with industry knowledge?

3 30.00%
  • Your CAD/BIM Manager?

2 20.00%
  • Your CAD/BIM tech / design staff?

4 40.00%
  • Your office coordinator?

1 10.00%
  • Your secretary?

0 0%
  • No one?

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you treat document control as an admin problem?

Login to Give a bone

Default Do you treat document control as an admin problem?

I think the thread title says it all, "Do you treat document control as an administrative problem?"

I don't want to get myself started, but, it seems to clear to me that #1. documents have to have a central control, someone to set standards and permissions and basically keep things organized #2. the person(s) in charge of the organization should have some understanding of the industry they are supporting.

I really feel like the data management side of construction is marginalized a bit too much.

So, the question is...

Who handles your data management?

A dedicated document manager with industry knowledge?
    Your CAD/BIM Manager?
    Your CAD/BIM tech / design staff?
    Your office coordinator?
    Your secretary?
    No one? ~shudders delicately~
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Do you treat document control as an admin problem?

I probably should pick no one, but we all try to work within a system that the next guy can understand. It doesn't always work that way, though.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

lol, thanks, Opie!

You know what, this would make a great homepage poll or survey!!! *then* I'd have an excuse to go off on it in HotNews.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Here its our Office manager/Administrative manager, with assistance of the CAD manager

Login to Give a bone

You started it. I just had to tweak it a bit. You know, put it in the right place. We probably need some type of poll management position around here.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I've worked at a few different companies with a few different procedures. however - in the end it usually rattles down to a member of the admin staff to take care of... (ie someone who can't say no!)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Munford View Post
    I've worked at a few different companies with a few different procedures. however - in the end it usually rattles down to a member of the admin staff to take care of... (ie someone who can't say no!)
    So, with that statement, Paul, do you think that it's not so much that information tracking is being marginalized (not important enough for skilled technical staff to spend their time on), but, that it is boring or undesirable work that rolls downhill to the bottom?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

I really needed to answer that poll with "Me".

I'll answer your question to Paul with an answer that applies in the aec consulting filed - no budget left. It's not that the people here think it's unimportant, but at the end of the day, the budget has been spent, and only admin time/non-billable hours are available. NO ONE likes to put that on their time sheet. Admin staff are already busy, so I'll bite the bullet and take the hit because I'm the one who knows enough about the jobs to put stuff away, and throw away what's not relevant. (Admin would have no choice but to grab everything -- they don't know what 80% of those files are, and might either load up all the .bak files, or delete the .dst.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    I really needed to answer that poll with "Me".

I'll answer your question to Paul with an answer that applies in the aec consulting filed - no budget left. It's not that the people here think it's unimportant, but at the end of the day, the budget has been spent, and only admin time/non-billable hours are available. NO ONE likes to put that on their time sheet. Admin staff are already busy, so I'll bite the bullet and take the hit because I'm the one who knows enough about the jobs to put stuff away, and throw away what's not relevant. (Admin would have no choice but to grab everything -- they don't know what 80% of those files are, and might either load up all the .bak files, or delete the .dst.
    D'oh! Horrible shortsightedness on my part there, cadtag. We're all overhead here, so I didn't even think about the billable hours aspect.

~nodding~ I definitely see your points with the rest of the post, thanks.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The fun part of working at a small office with exactly one CAD Monkey is that I have so many valid answers, such as "Document Control; what the hell is that?" and "Me, kinda." I have a system that (I feel, at least) is fairly easy to understand as far as shop drawings goes, but still... no one else manages to use it, and I always get "Hey can you print me a set of ..." instead of someone else just grabbing what they need on the computer and / or printing it themselves. (Our shop tickets are still 90%+ cut-and-paste.... and I don't mean computer cut-and-paste.)

My favorite is our reference document (Architectural drawings) "Document Control." Just look for "New Folder(X)" where you're trying to find the one where "X" is the largest available, and that's probably the latest quote. Probably. Of course, I have read-only access to that server location, so I can't help clean them up as I find them.

I should start a CAD "parody" comic or something where I just take what happens to me every day and put it up for everyone else's entertainment...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast