See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Model Project and best practices

Login to Give a bone

Default Multi-Model Project and best practices

I'm working on my first new school project in Revit and have a few questions on what the best way to set it up is. First off the architect has created a model for each building on the site. I decided to follow, so I have a model for each building. I want to set up my sheets in each individual model. Is this normally the way it's done? Or should I link all models into one file? Then I realized that I only want to have one light Fixture Schedule for the entire project. Can I accomplish this by linking all models into one file? I just want to make sure I'm doing this the most efficient way.

Thanks for the help!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multi-Model Project and best practices

i think you're on the right track. i'm doing the same with a 4-building apartment complex. each building's sheets are in that building's file, then there is a master file, which has the site plan and typical unit type plans, typical details, schedules (make sure to check schedule linked files on each). all the buildings and unit type project files are reference in to this master file. you have to make sure you don't have a rogue light fixture in one building with different settings, because it will schedule as a new type, so be consistant and transfer project standards between the files
    hth
    mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks that helps a lot! Where do I check to schedule linked files?

Login to Give a bone

To include objects from linked files you have to check a box at the bottom of the schedule dialogue box. It's the screen where you select parameters available in the project and bring them over into the schedule. Just below the list of parameters there is the checkbox I mentioned.

Login to Give a bone

Mostly, I've seen Architects make separate files for the separate building. They basically do this so they don't work themselves into a file too big to work with or the dreaded can't open because the file will crash on opening.... Depending on how complex the buildings are they would even split a building up also. I don't know what the magic number is as it will all depend on the computer hardware the entire team has...

One note, generally the Architect will not place the building on the site, the Civil guy will. The Arch could have some say, but the Civil Engineer will have his stamp on it so he will have the final say (sometimes there are site setbacks, easements, sewer hookups, storm water hookups, and such that have to be taken into account that an architect doesn't know how to handle...)

Login to Give a bone

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Login to Give a bone

If you guys are working with architects that actually locate and orient their building(s) in Revit in accordance with the Civil plans, I am filled with envy. I've had exactly one Revit project in 4 years where that actually happened, and I suspect it was mostly luck rather than intention on that one.

Login to Give a bone

Well true... the locating of the building on the site never makes it onto the blueprints of the Arch, so I can defiantly see someone just saying.... don't waste your time / worry on it.... Or an architect thinking that they have the power to place it on the site....

Like most projects done in Revit, the blueprints are what is being used to build the project, not the model... so as long as the blueprints look good all the rest is just a gamble...

To defend the Designers a bit here, is that owners are really (unless the contract states differently) just buying the blueprints and the owners know enough about the design process or don't really care how it is designed / built as long as they get what want at the price they wanted it at. Which is harder do to do than you thing, but I diagress.. So when the designers say if you pay us more money we could do the model right... and the owner gets to about as far as the extra money part and they say No!!!! So we as designers are not getting any more money to do it 'right'. The other question is that, does it really matter in the long run??? Maybe, as some other trade may take that info as gold, which it is not, but then again we are not getting paid anymore to do more coordination than what was needed in the past... So the trade is mostly but not all the time going to just do what is right for them, not what is right for the other designers... So when we look at something in the model that is not on the blueprints we should ask if it is really so, but what we really do is imply it is true, becasue that is the benefit we were all sole on about Revit... The reality is that our industry as a whole does not know what to do with Revit. Not so say some firms have it down packed, but I'm talking about the industry as a whole here...

So it really boils down to a money issue, even though the Owner will get a better project at least in the design phase... They won't really save any money as they again don't care how it is done and say things like 'That's what I hired you for so just do it' Now these problems are not the only problem's designers are facing these days by far, but it is a few of them.

I'm only really going on a bit here because this guy is a student, and I do try my best to impart what they are getting into to help them out in the long run, as I know what they are being taught in school is just a starting point and some points they are being taught are really invalid due to real world conditions... I will not say forget all you learned in school, but in a way do, because the next job you get may have a different way of doing things. Normally, there is one real world fact that will negate the way you're were taught to do it in school. like doing it that way will leave money on the table... or a million other reasons... What I'm getting at is On the job training is way more important that you think... And asking a million questions will get you the knowledge behind the reason your job tells you to do it that way... It may not be the one you agree with, but look at it this way, They are paying you to do it that way. Not that you can't ask your job why don't we do it this way, but don't rasie a fuss because your job told you to and your teacher said it was the devil....
    Last edited by USMCBody; 2013-06-14 at 03:07 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BenSammis View Post
    If you guys are working with architects that actually locate and orient their building(s) in Revit in accordance with the Civil plans, I am filled with envy. I've had exactly one Revit project in 4 years where that actually happened, and I suspect it was mostly luck rather than intention on that one.
    We do this all the time....Actually in my site model I have the civil drawing linked in and I place my models and shared coordinate info there. Also helps with the drawing index.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by USMCBody View Post
    To defend the Designers a bit here, is that owners are really (unless the contract states differently) just buying the blueprints and the owners know enough about the design process or don't really care how it is designed / built as long as they get what want at the price they wanted it at. Which is harder do to do than you thing, but I digress.. So when the designers say if you pay us more money we could do the model right... and the owner gets to about as far as the extra money part and they say No!!!!
    Thank you for including that part.
    Luckily, the part of owner with the power to say 'no', don't understand what we've spec'd for the deliverables anyway, they just say 'follow the engineering specs'... they don't care why I want a good model or certain coordinate system anymore than they care why the ME specs certain materials for piping.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast