Thread: Curtain Wall Panels

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Curtain Wall Panels

Hi - not sure if anyone can advise or help with this issue but we are modeling quite a complex geometric building that requires a system of curtain wall panels that are all trapezoid in shape. The building line is curved in and out on the horizontal and also is faceted in the vertical plane. Every junction of mullion to transom has a different angle in the vertical, the horizontal and also has a different relationship with the adjacent panel. In addition to this the profiles of the mullions and transoms are not the same extrusion. We have a contractual requirement to model this to LOD-400 and extract all fabrication drawings from the BIM works however at present we are not finding any "quick-fix" solution in Revit that helps us model this product. We have tried using an adaptive part but the junctions between the mullions and transoms do not connect correctly - nor does this blend with the curving facade. Also with the adaptive part we are finding the glass is jumping arbitrarily in and out and not maintaining its position. I have used other software BIM packages e.g. ArchiCAD and this has provided the opportunity to parametrically create a strectchy part that will maintain its junctions and also enable the mullions or transoms to be twsited with some key inputs. I do not find this anywahere in Revit and am concerned that what we are trying to achieve in Revit quite simply cannot be done without us modelling each and every mullion and transom independantly. This would be a ridiculaous amount of time that my technicians are advising they could only manage to model 4 panels a day. The BIM works would then take 4 times longer than our fabrication and installation!!!! ANy advise anyone please.
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Curtain Wall Panels

I think your best option is a properly constructed adaptive component. Without seeing the file I can't begin to tell you what you've done wrong.

Check out Zack Kron's blog - http://buildz.blogspot.com/ - for a more than in-depth explanation of the conceptual modeling tools. You'll also need to get a hand on what, and how, to report dimensions for fabrication.

Also, it looks like you're trying to model the metal extrusion. You will probably be better off not modeling the extrusions in such detail and instead using simplified profiles. Let the details show the detail.