Hi all -

Anyone have a clue about this?

I am working on a window family with nested components added in. All works well except for one thing.

I have a nested family for the exterior trim which I imported into my window. I want the trim to be set back from the outer face of the exterior side of the wall (this is residential - so you would have the trim applied on the sheathing and the siding run into it ) meaning the trim sits back and therefore must cut the wall. So I have a reference plane that is adjusted by a family parameter and the nested trim essentially snaps to that line. All good so far. Works nicely. I can set the trim back the depth of the siding and all looks great. The trim is a picture-framed trim around the window itself. I have made the trim from two sweeps - a header across the top and a U-shaped piece with a bottom piece and two side legs. This so that I can have the legs and bottom be one width (e.g. a 5/4 x 4 piece, while the top header can be wider (or not), e.g. a 5/4 x 6).

Here's the problem. When I place the window family in a project the geometry all looks great in 3D, but when I look at the window in plan (fine and medium views), the exterior trim sometimes cuts the wall and sometimes doesn't. I have figured out that if I have my plan's cut plane set to below the mid-point (vertically) of the exterior trim geometry, it looks nice - the trim cuts the wall beautifully. BUT, set the plan cut plane above the midpoint and the exterior trim overlaps the wall - that is, it no longer looks like the siding butts up to the trim but instead runs right through it. I am figuring that it has to do with the trim profile being set at the midpoint of the vertical height of the trim. However I tried setting it so that the profile was at the bottom of the U-shaped sweep and the same happens. I suppose if I were to set the profile to be at the header that might work (that is, make a true picture frame) but I really wanted the flexibility of a variable header.

Here are things I have set properly
- Visibility set to "when cut in plan..."

Here are things I have tried that don't work for my purposes -

- Using a detailed component or masking region to create the plan image. It works in general but doesn't for "previous + new" overrides when doing renovation projects. I'd prefer to stick to using sweeps.
- Setting the workplane for the sweeps - the profiles always end up on the midpoint of the path. Whether the workplane is above or below my cut plane makes no difference.
- Voids - I want the trim to cut only in Medium & Fine views, not Course. I don't think they can be set to cut by detail level.

My guess is if we could set the profile plan of a sweep to be other than the midpoint of the path this would work.

Same thing happens in section, but I think solving the plan problem will likely help with the sections.

I would prefer not to give up on the nesting. That is so nice to have.

Any thoughts out there? Solutions? Am I missing something painfully simple and am just too tired to see it?

Thanks for all offers of help in advance.

Chris