Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UCS Orientation

Login to Give a bone

Default UCS Orientation

I have little experience working with UCS settings. I was given the attached dwg and you’ll notice the UCS is swung about 100 degrees clockwise along with the line dwg as well. How do I reorient and flip everything around counterclockwise to 0 degree? Also, I had looked up how to turn on and off the UCS display, it says to "Click View tab Coordinates panel Toggle Icon. The check mark indicates whether the icon is on or off." Nothing called Coordinates Panel is displayed.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: UCS Orientation

For starters, the drawing is not in World Coordinates. To fix this problem type in UCS - then W and that will reset the drawing back into World Coordinates. You will still notice that your crosshairs are still at an angle. Type in SNAPANG, you will see that it is something other then 0, type in 0 enter and this will fix the crosshairs.

Not sure if there is a faster way then this but should resolve the issue you are having.

On a side note, when working in a Civil drawing that relies heavily on a coordinate system, it is not recommended to change the coordinate system from World because this will cause issues for example with point data and other key civil components.

Login to Give a bone

If you type in UCSICON... you will get a bunch of options and an option to change the properties of the UCS Icon.

UCSDISPLAYSETTINGS2d is another command you can use. Type in off instead of on.

Personally, I like to have the icon on.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Iceberg, those commands worked to fix the UCS orientation but the line dwg intself is still the same, I am trying to get the whole dwg back to 0 degrees.

Login to Give a bone

Well,if you really think that's a good idea, then you'll need to select the drawing entities, and rotate them. Bear in mind that once you do that any coordinate values that exist are now meaningless. Since that's called a 'Site Plan', I would be very leery about doing any rotation until I know why it's set up the way it is.

Login to Give a bone

Before any of that I would save the current UCS [UCS\NAmed\Save] - just in case it turns out to be important.

Login to Give a bone

Basically the command you are looking for is DVIEW - Twist.

Like CADTAG said you do not want to use the Rotate command. Think of it like this, your house is located at location A in the world. Its relative location is at some angle of true north. But you don't like seeing your house in that orientation. So you rotate your house... but what happened? North stayed the same (pointing up) but your house location has been moved to location B now. However if you were to go out and build or locate your house using GPS you would be in 2 different spots and this would cause a whole heap of trouble.

Essentially what you want to do is just twist the coordinate system so that your house looks the way you want it with out moving its coordinates.

The DVIEW command will allow you to do just that. If you type in DVIEW - then TW (twist) and enter an angle, in the case of your drawing it will be 2.76, it will twist your drawing so that the line work appears to be at 0 degrees but in actuality it is not. Thus keeping your coordinate system intact. To get the cross hairs back to normal, SNAPANG the opposite of the angle you typed into the twist command.... so in this case it would be -2.76

Hope this helps and makes sense to you.

Login to Give a bone

No worries CADTAG, this was an AS Built dwg supplied by a vendor, first thing I did was Save As a new dwg so as not to change the original. ICEBERG, I tried DVIEW, even though it appears in the suggestion list, it comes up as "Unknown command DV" or DVIEW or DVIEWTW. This is AC LT 2012 ver F.51.0.0

Login to Give a bone

hmmm... I will have to get back to you on that... I thought DV worked in AC LT as well as the full version of CAD.

Do you have any 3d tools? Example 3d orbit? If there are no functions to draw in 3d in the version of AC LT that you have then the command wont work.

Login to Give a bone

Just AC LT 12 and whatever comes in that off the shelf package

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast