Thread: Does anyone know what type of software they used for this video?

Login to Give a bone

Default Does anyone know what type of software they used for this video?

I'm relatively new to 3ds Max and I got into it because of the possibilities it creates for making videos for architectural purposes. How did they put this video together? more specifically how did they Integrate the 3-D model with existing footage? Was it a trick in 3ds max or something they did later in a video editing program?

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2013/03/181-fremont

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Does anyone know what type of software they used for this video?

Looks like 3dsMax w/ Vray if you ask me. No idea, that's just my guess. Maybe some added effects with premiere pro or after effects...?
    This might sound crazy, but it is quite possible that they had an entire well developed model of the city, complete with boats, trees, etc... and rendered like mad.

Login to Give a bone

I did a little research after I posted this and I think they did it with 'camera tracking' in max or in another program

Login to Give a bone

This friend is a lot of hard work, multiple software products, and the bar we all strive toward The basic rendering / modeling is likely done in either 3ds Max or Maya, with several plugins. There is a reason you only see videos like these on projects this size as well, because they are very expensive. I don't know if this is the case here but believe it or not companies hire people to digitally cut out areas to overaly their animated content. It's probably the position I come across more often then not. When you talk to an animator working a studio, they tend to have tons of time simply tracing pixels for years, frame by frame to accomplish this very task.