See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Newbie - DST & DWG Location Relationships: Moving, Copying & XREF's

I could stop if I wanted to CEHill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Newbie - DST & DWG Location Relationships: Moving, Copying & XREF's

I am starting to create and soon will test the Sheet Set Manager or SSM, on a limited basis and I am entering into this undertaking with some trepidation.
    Unfortunately, I have heard of horror stories about the SSM when the DWG files were moved in an earlier version of AutoCAD. The experience was bad enough that the company dropped use of the SSM.

BACKGROUND

I work for a chemical manufacturing company and support all of the drafting and design tasks/project at the local facility - an owner/operator scenario.

QUESTIONS

1. Must the DST and DWG files reside in the same folder?
    2. Are there special considerations (i.e. modifying SSM support file path(s), creating special subfolders, etc.) when moving DWG files as far as the location of the DST file is concerned? (We now move DWG files from a project to a production folder on a regular basis)
    3. Are there special considerations when XREF's are used with SSM?

Any tips, third party software, or LISP routines to better manage the SSM are appreciated as well.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Newbie - DST & DWG Location Relationships: Moving, Copying & XREF's

1. No
    2. If the relative or absolute path is changed it needs to be updated one way or another.
    3. Not that I can think of.

Tips. For repathing you can be helped by either of our products. SSMPropEditor or Sheet Set Manager Path Edit. SSMPropEditor can also be useful for updating different sheet set properties on multiple sheets as well as other SSM related tasks.

Login to Give a bone

I very much appreciate your input, Jimmy, and will investigate your applications.
    As I do testing intermittently, it may be a span of several weeks before I either request a demo or purchase one of them.

Login to Give a bone

in response to the consideration of moving files, there is a quick fix if the path of the file has changed. The "REDIR" command works as a find replace command, first type the old info you need to change, press enter, then type the new info you need it changed to. Press enter and let the magic happen... Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

REDIR is something that I will try. Thanks for your contribution to this thread!
    Yours,

Clint
    Hill

------------------
    CAD Systems Operation and Management
    Chemical Plant Process + Mechanical Design Focus Areas