See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Sort by Type - prioritize .dwg files above .bak files

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Sort by Type - prioritize .dwg files above .bak files

hi all,

bumped into an issue that i couldn't find a solution to, thought i'd pick some of your brains. I recently reformated my workstation and upgraded to autocad 2013. after such, i have noticed my drawing folders are prioritizing cad files to a not-so-efficient way, unlike before. please help or shed any light on how i could fix this issue.

current:
    .bak
    .dwg

prefered organization:
    .dwg
    .bak

(both sorted by type:acending)

before my dwg files are always above my bak files. it is very tidious and annoying to scroll all the way to the bottom of a folder to select my dwg files when there are multiple versions of bak files in the folder.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sort by Type - prioritize .dwg files above .bak files

In the folder view, uncheck the Show in groups option.

Other options. Use the Express Tools MOVEBAK command to put the bak files in another folder, e.g. C:\Windows\Temp or My Bak in My documents. Third option, turn off bak files in options after assessing if you really need them. You should have autosave turned on. Perhaps you have a backup by some other means, e.g. a document management system, DropBox, etc.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

There was a time when you could customize the description associated with an extension (and the icon, too). I vaguely recall that being more difficult in more recent versions of Windows (or maybe the method changed and I never figured out how). I have not tried to do that in years, anyway. It sounds like BAK files now have a description starting with "AutoCAD" and perhaps followed by " Backup File", which would put them above "AutoCAD Drawing" alphabetically. If you can change the description to "BAK File" or something else that would alphabetize after "AutoCAD Drawing", you would get your preferred order back.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Sort by Type - prioritize .dwg files above .bak files

Quote Originally Posted by Exsporer View Post
    hi all,

bumped into an issue that i couldn't find a solution to, thought i'd pick some of your brains. I recently reformated my workstation and upgraded to autocad 2013. after such, i have noticed my drawing folders are prioritizing cad files to a not-so-efficient way, unlike before. please help or shed any light on how i could fix this issue.

current:
    .bak
    .dwg

prefered organization:
    .dwg
    .bak

before my dwg files are always above my bak files. it is very tidious and annoying to scroll all the way to the bottom of a folder to select my dwg files when there are multiple versions of bak files in the folder.
    Exsporer,
    "Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I have just had the same thing happen to me."

Login to Give a bone

So solved my own question.

Wanted to share for anyone else interested. If you right on a dwg file and go to "Open with" then Select AutoCAD DWG Launcher. Your windows explorer files will be arranged to list the dwg files in Blue and Yellow icons and list the dwg files right up front and the bak files will be pushed to the bottom of the list.

This is the much preferred organization.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Exsporer View Post
    hi all,

current:
    .bak
    .dwg

prefered organization:
    .dwg
    .bak

Through blundering thru how to fix this issue. I seem to have found a solution. It will be up to a smarter person than me to find a elegant way to describe it. First, set windows 10 to "hide extensions of known filetypes" (open file explorer, view, options, view, click it in the list), next, and this is the part that works like black magic, is add 'file extension' to the sorting tabs. Than it seems my files are sorted in order, name, date, type, size extension. It may not look right when you press some obscure combination of sorting options, but when I than go up a file and back, it magically sorts correctly, files, DWGs, BAKs. If someone could come and figure out how this works, or give me a way to add the file extension tab to all files without doing it manually on each file (this part I fixed, go to the top file, add file extension, and 'apply to all folders', I would appreciate it.