Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom valve/fitting plan view symbol size

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Custom valve/fitting plan view symbol size

I'm in the process of creating some custom valves and fittings and came across something I can't figure out. The plan view symbol (annotative) at 1/8" scale is 1'-0" wide regardless of pipe size. I want the symbol to be 1'-6" wide at 1/8" scale but can't figure out where or how to change this (if it's at all possible). Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
    Matt

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custom valve/fitting plan view symbol size

Draw it 1'6".
    For annotation elements in Revit you simply draw them the size that you want them. Revit takes care of all of the scale factors.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Just so I understand you... I would create an annotation family? And then load that into my valve/fitting family and turn off the visibility for the 3D geometry in plan view?

Login to Give a bone

That is one way to do it, yes, with a nested annotation family. In most cases, however, this approach will have some challenges in getting it to "clean up" properly with the connecting pipes.

The other method, which you can find in things like "Check Valve 2-12 Inch - Flanged" is to use some model geometry (i.e. model lines) to represent the "annotation". In this case we take the model lines that you draw (which display at course and medium detail levels) and "normalize" them based on the distance between the connectors.
    The "normalization" depends on how far apart the connectors on the family are (the distance between connectors is used to "normalize" the model lines so it's a bit tricky to get everything right at every possible size.

Based on your question I assumed that you had already decided on using a nested annotation family.

jason

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I already have the annotation symbols created (I did this as a band-aid solution until we could get something in 3D) so that would obviously be the easiest way to tackle this. So I think that's the way I'll go about this until I run into a situation where it doesn't work as predicted then I'll take the model line approach.

What we're doing is pretty simplistic for valves. We've decided to have our AutoCAD symbols (the ones everybody knows and loves) represent our valves and fittings in a plan view, but for the 3D view, because the valves and fittings can be installed in any number of possible angles (we all know the issue with rotating a valve 90 degrees and "losing" it in the pipe - you know how it shows as a single line) we're going to use a cube to represent the extents of the valve or fitting. This way we don't have to be concerned with the correct orientation of the valve handle. We're also not concerned with how it appears in a 3D view since we're not rendering it.

Thanks for the info!!
    Matt

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I've been messing around with the model lines technique and I can't get this to work. My simple rectangular plan view symbol keeps showing up as 6" long at 1/8" scale. What am I doing wrong? I've attached the family (MEP 2009). I have it set up as a pipe accessory that will automatically attach to the pipe regardless of the pipe's size (the connectors will adjust accordingly) and my pipe fitting annotation size is set to 1/8" in my test project.

Thanks!
    Matt

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't make the symbol any larger than 6" (for a 1/8" scale view). I've tried manipulating the check valve that you mentioned.... no dice. I'm begninning to think it can't be done. I'm hoping you'll prove me wrong.

Matt

Login to Give a bone

I'm having trouble getting this to work for accessories in 2009. Fitting seem to be working fine in 2009, but not accessories...

Just found it. It looks like this didn't work for accessories in 2009, but did in 2010. That could certainly be why you can't get it to work.

jason

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Well that stinks.
    I guess it'll have to wait until we upgrade ALL of our projects/models.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I appreciate it.

Matt

Login to Give a bone

So Ive been reading over a few post about the valve symbols and still haven't found an answer to my problem. Basically I'm trying to get my valve symbols (single line, coarse view) to look like our companies CAD standard. When used in the model, the symbol size increases/decrease based on the size of the actual valve. Is there a way to stop this and have just one single symbol that doesn't change size, except when you change the scale of the view?

Ive attached the ball valve that comes with Revit, that Ive modified the symbol for. Also another problem I have is when you use the valve, there is a visible gap between the connector and the pipe (only when in single line, coarse view) which I would like to be able to remove. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast