Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's in the revit package

I could stop if I wanted to Nic M.'s Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

A couple of months ago we purchased Revit. (Yeah!!)
    Filled in an order form, mail it back to the reseller, a few days later i got my subscription contract number via mail, copy - past in the demo version and hopla on the road.

I was wondering, is the only thing I get for that stiff price? a mail with a serial number?
    no fancy box to put on the shelf
    no cd with extra info
    no certificate with hologram to look at

My reseller doesn't know, he's looking in to it.
    The invoice is recieved and payed.

What did you get?

All AUGI, all the time Allen Lacy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What's in the revit package

You got us! Oh, that's right you had us before. We have been with Revit for about 2 1/2 years now, so I'm not sure. But, I think that's it.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

You should also receive a CD in the mail unless the European contract agreement is different.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, we get a CD pack in the mail, one for each licence; the pack has a little book & the install CD, which also has some extra stuff on it. We get new ones every time a new version comes out. But we get them from our reseller...

Login to Give a bone

If you really want to get your panties in a bunch, read the EULA. I am pretty sure that you will find that you are merely renting the privelege to use the software so long as Autodesk decides to support it.

At least Autodesk is letting you purchase a license and providing the software for free...Microsoft apps require you to rent the right to use the software, state cleary that you are not purchasing anything and yet they charge you if you lose the CD and need another...shouldn't the CD be free for anyone who has already purchased the software license?

While I'm on it, music cd's also state that you are purchasing a license to listen to the music, not actually purchasing the music, but they will not let you trade in the cd for a new free on if it gets scratched or skips. Shouldn't the media be free if you have already purchased the license to listen to the music contained in it??

By the way, almost every time the software companies get taken to court on these issues, they lose, so be aware that you are effectively signing an invalid contract when you open most software.

Interesting side note: more traditional product companies have gotten into the act. A router manufacturer has included a statement on the packaging of a set of templates stating that the buyer has merely "licensed" the templates "for use".

I am considering including a similar clause on all of my drawings that limits the client's rights to use the design so long as I support that design and remain in business. Then, several years later, when I decide I no longer like wood buildings I will start using only steel and make all of my old clients either abandon their house or pay me to "upgrade" them!

Login to Give a bone

I asked my reseller about the subscription:
    what happens if I no longer want to pay subscription? can I still use the software?( without all the updates, new versions,...)
    I looked here in the forum and if I understand it all, its yes, I can use the software as it is at that moment but am no longer entiteld to recieve updates.

Since I dident recieve any cd I'm wondering: have I bought revit or did I bought a subscription to use the software.
    My reseller says I bought revit and a 1 year subscription.
    So how does this all work then?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Nic M.
    I asked my reseller about the subscription:
    what happens if I no longer want to pay subscription? can I still use the software?( without all the updates, new versions,...)
    I looked here in the forum and if I understand it all, its yes, I can use the software as it is at that moment but am no longer entiteld to recieve updates.

Since I dident recieve any cd I'm wondering: have I bought revit or did I bought a subscription to use the software.
    My reseller says I bought revit and a 1 year subscription.
    So how does this all work then?
    Your subscription fee entitles you to all new updates/upgrades within your subscription period. If you decline to renew your subscription, you retain the right to use the software in its current version.

Revit is basically free, except for printing, exporting and saving. That is what your license gets you.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gregcashen
    Revit is basically free, except for printing, exporting and saving. That is what your license gets you.
    I sure could print in demo mode, so leaves only export and save.
    A lot of fuss for a two functions program.

Thanks for the clarification.

I could stop if I wanted to MartyC's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi

Sure the CD and the packaging is only worth 5 bucks, but dont you think the groovy little printed tutorial is worth at least 7000?

I must say that I used to have that feeling of being taken advantage of in the most intimate way when paying subscription fees for software, especially when a CD is about 60c value. But then came Revit, and I can honestly see an almost tangeable connection between subscription and profit, even though the actual value of the software is intangeable.

When I get really panicky I read my Architect/Client Agreement and remind myself that the client comissioning me is granted a single licence to use the design once, that they do not own the design, and copyright is retained by me. Any variation of these terms is by prior arrangement only, and would probably attract an additional fee.

Really, I think the system is pretty fair, and here at least the ongoing subscription/maintenance fee is reasonably affordable especially for a sole practitioner such as myself where cost is critical.

I would like a groovy Revit desk toy though, must put that on the wishlist.

Cheers M

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MartyC
    <snip>When I get really panicky I read my Architect/Client Agreement and remind myself that the client comissioning me is granted a single licence to use the design once, that they do not own the design, and copyright is retained by me. Any variation of these terms is by prior arrangement only, and would probably attract an additional fee.
    <snip>
    And not forgetting the important part, that the licence entitlement exists only when fees properly due to the Architect in accordance with the agreement, have been paid.

An often overlooked aspect od the CAA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast