Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit LT

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit LT

If I work alone, is Revit LT for me? I want to upgrade from AutoCad to something that's a little more efficient with a better work flow. I do not need the following:
    1. I don't need special Rendering.
    2. I work alone. So there is no work sharing.
    3. I send truss work off to the lab. So that's not needed.

I just want to be able to create a set of working drawings with specifications. I need a little more better work flow.
    1. Can I make good constructs documents with the LT version?
    2. Does Revit LT version support sheets?
    3. Can I preform basic 2-D drafting details in LT?

Auto Desk is offering me Revit LT for $995 and for what I do, it sounds like a steal just to get a taste of the BIM world. Maybe later, I'll get the full version. The 30-day trial is just not long enough time for me to get these questions answered on my own. Any input would be appreciated indeed.

Thank you,
    --Al

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit LT

Al,

Hi! After using AutoCAD for about 18 years I made the change to Revit about two years ago. I like the Revit program a lot. I never used the LT version, but I am sure its very good. I would do the trial period to see how it will work with your projects.

Rob

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ROBP-RDS View Post
    Al,
    I would do the trial period to see how it will work with your projects.

Rob
    I am working on it, but 30-days is not enough time to cover all of my concerns. The work flow is nice and it seems like I can complete a set of working drawings on the LT version. I am having a problem with what Revit call "Families". Chief Architect has what is call "The Manufacture Catalog" for everyone to drag and drop materials as it listed from the manufactures. This feature is a whole lot better to work with than families. I understand nothing is perfect, but I think that I can live with Revit LT because it's only me working alone.

Your feedback is appreciated.
    --Al

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by shonnel7398143 View Post
    I am working on it, but 30-days is not enough time to cover all of my concerns. The work flow is nice and it seems like I can complete a set of working drawings on the LT version. I am having a problem with what Revit call "Families". Chief Architect has what is call "The Manufacture Catalog" for everyone to drag and drop materials as it listed from the manufactures. This feature is a whole lot better to work with than families. I understand nothing is perfect, but I think that I can live with Revit LT because it's only me working alone.

Your feedback is appreciated.
    --Al
    You realize a lot of those objects for CA were created using AutoCAD. I have had a few objects I created in there in the past (CA HQ is the same town as me...). So really they are a lot alike, someone had to create them to add to the catalog, same goes for Revit. The nice part of Revit Families is making them parametric and most CA stuff isn't. (At least when I used the program it wasn't)
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Al,

Did you know you can find a lot of the families online at places like http://seek.autodesk.com/, www.arcat.com, and www.revitcity.com? You can make your own families with Revit (under new you have the option for families then select a template to get started).

I think you will like Revit a lot as you use it more. I had a hard time picking it up at first, but one day everything started to "click". I like working with Revit now.

You can find a lot of good training materials, Fourms, and books for Revit on line. I took some training classes, where we purchased our software, early on too.

Rob

Login to Give a bone

I like the work flow and Revit is really deep. I just hope that the LT version is ok for me because the 30-days trial will not cover all of my concerns. I have other things to do and time is running out. So far, Revit is a winner and I am loving it. The BIM thing is very outstanding: much better than R10. Do remember those days? lol!

--Al

I could stop if I wanted to charliep's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Been using Revit for over 7 years now and love it. However, when they moved me from my Autocad/Revit suite to the new Building Suite and increased my subscription accordingly, I can no longer afford it. So the question I have is:- is Revit LT compatable with Revit. Could I open a file created in say Revit 14 and work on it in Revit LT 14 and vice versa?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Al,

Hi! I think you will like the Revit/ BIM software the more you use it. I know I do..... I remember the R10 days, we sure did come a long way. I remember going from the drafting table to the early CAD systems. It almost felt the same way gong from CAD to BIM. I am glad I did though when I look back on it.

Take care,
    Rob

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Charlie,

I could send you a test file created in Revit 2013 and you can see if it opens if you wish.

Rob

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by charliep View Post
    So the question I have is:- is Revit LT compatable with Revit. Could I open a file created in say Revit 14 and work on it in Revit LT 14 and vice versa?
    Autodesk said to me, "No. Revit files are NOT able to be saved back to a prior version. Revit 2013 can however open Revit LT 2013 files and vice versa." However, you might want to contact them because your question is very important. Rob has a file that can be tested and hopefully, you can post the results.
    --Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast