Thread: Taskbar on the right

Login to Give a bone

Default Taskbar on the right

So, we just upgraded to Windows 7 at work (finally). I always keep my taskbar on the right side of the screen, so that I can keep it wide enough to show the filenames. I have the AutoCAD TASKBAR sysvar set to 1. But, windows is stacking the entries, instead of displaying them all. Can I change that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Taskbar on the right

D'oh! Okay, wow, I just finally found it... don't know why I didn't see it before...

Right click on taskbar > properties > Taskbar tab (taskbar appearance group) > Taskbar buttons: select 'never combine' from the dropdown.

There I go. I shoulda had a v8.

ScreenShot019.jpg
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Interesting; I see the file names just fine from the bottom, when TASKBAR = 1.

Instead of Autodesk's Drawing Tab, I use Biz-Icom's iDwgTab plug-in which makes navigation, and reordering open tabs easy... I've prepared an Autoloader .bundle here if you'd like to give it a try.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Interesting; I see the file names just fine from the bottom, when TASKBAR = 1.

Instead of Autodesk's Drawing Tab, I use Biz-Icom's iDwgTab plug-in which makes navigation, and reordering open tabs easy... I've prepared an Autoloader .bundle here if you'd like to give it a try.

Cheers
    Cool.

I tend to have a lot of drawings open at any one time. Having the side docking, I can see the titles from like 20 files... with the bottom, anything over 7 files will autocollapse (well, with that few, I'd also just use CTRL+TAB for navigation anyway instead of the taskbar).
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Cool.

I tend to have a lot of drawings open at any one time. Having the side docking, I can see the titles from like 20 files... with the bottom, anything over 7 files will autocollapse (well, with that few, I'd also just use CTRL+TAB for navigation anyway instead of the taskbar).
    See that's the difference in how we each work... I use TASKBAR = 0, and the tabbed interface inside of AutoCAD linked above, which can optionally autosize to filename (if varies) for navigation, which also colorizes read-only, and labels with DWG version icon, adds a check mark for drawings that have changes, etc. for context.

Call me lazy... It's shorter mouse travel from editor window to tabbed interface, than it is to the taskbar at bottom, let alone at right on my 24" widescreen monitor (main).

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

See that's the difference in how we each work... I use TASKBAR = 0, and the tabbed interface inside of AutoCAD linked above, which can optionally autosize to filename (if varies) for navigation, which also colorizes read-only, and labels with DWG version icon, adds a check mark for drawings that have changes, etc. for context.

Call me lazy... It's shorter mouse travel from editor window to tabbed interface, than it is to the taskbar at bottom, let alone at right on my 24" widescreen monitor (main).

Cheers
    Definitely a difference in methodology. I used to use something like that back when I was doing a lot of drafting, so I'd only be in AutoCAD. I don't know what made me give it up.

I know some folks say it's a no-no, but, I also open all of my files through Windows Explorer instead of file > open.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

... I also open all of my files through Windows Explorer instead of file > open.
    ... I'm not sure we can still be friends.

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

... I'm not sure we can still be friends.
    You'll be able to get past it, with work, time... and a lot of counseling.

Just don't hold it against me that I train all of my users to do the same thing.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Just don't hold it against me that I train all of my users to do the same thing.

0spit-take.gif

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

0spit-take.gif
    Okay, I swear, I've got valid reasons for this!

We've got 100 years of archives, yeah? You can't just open up trueview or design review and find a CAD file, because not all of our files are dwgs... they always end up trying to open the wrong filetype with the wrong program and IT takes forever to catch on, and some of them don't even know how to reassociate filetypes.

SO, I teach them all to navigate our rather extensive archives through explorer, so they can see the resources, no matter what format and double-click and let the installed programs choose what opens what. It's also much easier to keep one's place while searching.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor