Thread: Detail callouts for standard detail file.....

Login to Give a bone

Default Detail callouts for standard detail file.....

I'm creating our standard details in a separate project file using drafting views. Then when we need a detail for a project we can create a drafting view in the project and use the Insert From File command and bring the needed detail in from this separate file. I've run into a small issue. Some of the standard details reference blow-ups that are other standard details. I can't figure out how to get the callouts to work. I tried using a callout to reference the blow-up drafting view in the standard detail in the separate file and then bringing both details over to a new project with the hopes that the callout would come across too but it doesn't. Right now I've settled on creating a big bold red note and dashed line where the callout should be to remind the person bringing the details across to create the reference and callout. Then they can erase the red note and lines. Is there any way to reference the blow-up in the standard details file and have the callout appear correctly when I bring the 2 details into the project?

Thanks for any advice.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Detail callouts for standard detail file.....

I think I understand what you mean. Our standard details don't contain any callouts specifically, but I have one roof/wall flashing detail in which I placed a section mark with the head only (no line or tail) that references an elevation detail of that same condition. They're both drafting views in the same standard details file. If I insert both details into a project, the section mark (and associated view reference) comes in just fine.

Also if I select only the section view that contains the view reference, BOTH views still get copied into the new project.

Is this not what happens with your details? When you create the view callout in one drafting view, you have "Reference Other View" selected, correct? I think it may do it automatically when dealing with drafting views.

Also why are you creating a drafting view in your project before using Insert From File? You don't need to create any views beforehand, just use that tool and the drafting views will be created and copied into your project.

Login to Give a bone

I used the callout tool in the one detail and selected the other detail as the one to reference and it creates a dash-dot line in my one view. It doesn't show a detail number reference bubble (don't know if one is even loaded in that file). When I bring that detail into a project the dash-dot line indicating the call out doesn't even transfer over. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll keep trying. Any thoughts?

As to your other question - I tried inserting the details without first creating the drafting view in the project and it popped up an error message in the sheet view I was in telling me that it couldn't copy it to that view. The next time I tried it I was in a floor plan view and it just popped the detail into the middle of my plan. It doesn't create new drafting views. It wants to put them into whatever view I'm in at the time. It also only lets me copy one detail at a time. Is that not how it's supposed to work?

Thanks.

Update - I just tried something else. I was using the "Insert 2D elements from file" option before. I tried it with "Insert views from file" and was able to get multiple views at one time and for the program to create the drafting views for me without having to do it first. I'm going to try that again with the callout created in the original file and see if it brings it across.

Login to Give a bone

I've gotten it to work with a couple of little hiccups. When I bring the details into the project it doesn't put them in the "Drafting Views (Detail)" area that already exists in the browser. It creates a new area called "Drafting Views (Detail View 1)" and puts them there. It also makes a copy of the Callout Head and calls it Callout Head1. Is there any way to correct these 2 things? Just want to try to make things as clean as possible.

Thanks.