Thread: Is it possible to assign a shared paramater to one single family type only from a system family?

Login to Give a bone

Default Is it possible to assign a shared paramater to one single family type only from a system family?

Hi everybody,

I would like to assign a shared parameter to a specific family type from within a system family category.

Let's say that I have the system family category "Walls", then the subcategory "Basic Wall" and under "Basic Wall", I have 6 wall types:

Walls
    |
    +---- Basic Wall
    |
    |- CW 102-50-100p
    |- CW 102-50-140p
    |- CW 102-50-215p
    |- CW 102-85-100p
    |- CW 102-85-140p
    |- CW 102-85-215p

And let's say that I have a shared parameter called "Dummy" which I want to assign to a single type only from the six shown above.

The UI (manual) procedure is to load the shared parameter into the project through the Parameter Properties dialog.

But by doing this, the parameter is assigned to all six "Basic Wall" family types enumerated above.

My problem is that I need to assign that shared parameter to a single family type only, from the six above!

And now the question:

I know that the general rule is that if something is doable through the UI, then it could be possible to be done through the API (if implemented).

But I'm still wondering if there are exceptions to the rule, so in this case, is it possible to assign the "Dummy" shared parameter only to one of the six types exemplified above?

TIA

Buddy

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is it possible to assign a shared paramater to one single family type only from a system family?

I'm pretty sure it is not possible with the API. The parameter is bound to the family, not to the type.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is it possible to assign a shared paramater to one single family type only from a system family?

This is what I was suspecting too, but I said myself maybe there's a chance...

Wishful thinking

Merci quand même, Maxence

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

How would this be different from what you are attempting to do above?

Make the "Dummy" a Yes/No parameter and assign it as a type parameter to all walls.

Set its VALUE to "Yes" for one wall type and "NO" for the all the others.

You would have one "Dummy" and 5 "Not Dummy."

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Peter,

I'll give it a try.

Buddy