Thread: Revit Coordinates

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Coordinates

Let me explain what I am trying to do, maybe someone will have an easy answer. I'm guessing this is really simple but.....I just can't seem to get it to work.
    I have an autocad base drawing that I am linking into my model. The autocad drawing is set up specifically to relate to 0,0. I want to align my Revit model to this autocad drawing
    so that when I link this autocad in it will align correctly. I'm assuming I want to choose "origin to origin" when I do this. I've tried "relocate project" from a point in my revit model to the corresponding point in the linked autocad drawing, but that doesn't seem to work. Ultimately I want to be able to export AutoCAD plans from my revit model and have people be able to insert them to 0,0 and have them drop in lined up correctly. Ideally I would have linked the autocad drawing origin to origin before I started my revit model.....but the autcad drawing came later.
    Any words of wisdom out there??
    Thanks!

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Coordinates

Open Site floor plan view (see the project and survey base points, turn on if not)
    How far away from 0,0,0 origin in the DWG is the relevant lines/circles/arcs and blocks? If not very very far (not more than 10 miles)

Import the DWG file
    Use Auto - Center to Center
    Move and/or rotate the DWG file so that it is positioned the way the Revit modeling (building) should be relative to the geometry in that file
    Manage ribbon tab > Coordinates > Acquire Coordinates
    Select the DWG file
    You should see the Survey Point icon jump farther away or disappear entirely. It is now in the same place as the DWG's origin

When you export to DWG files use the option "Shared Coordinates" to ensure that the DWG will line up with the other CAD files that use the same understanding of origin.

If you are interested you can read related posts at my blog HERE.