Thread: learning revit on the job - complicated roof

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default learning revit on the job - complicated roof

Hello All,

I have been teaching myself Revit Architecture for the last several months. I still feel overwhelmed with all of the nuances and commands but I feel like I am getting a handle on it somewhat. Trying to take it one level at a time. Anyway, I attached a rough sketch I produced on my tablet of a project I am working on that I need to create a roof for. I have a good bit of experience in creating roofs like this in 3ds max and sketchup so I keep thinking of ideas from that perspective. I could use a sweep tool and boolean the eyebrows or possible dormers into the sweep model and then use the sweep tool for miscellaneous details. Or, I could model one section of the entire roof and then rotate/copy instance. However, in Revit, I am not sure what the right approach would be. I think there are several possibilities but I am sure one would get the most desirable result as a part of the revit model and I thought I would ask for some expert opinions. I do have this posted in another forum I frequent so please excuse me if that is in bad taste. I am trying to reach out to the two resources I have found valuable in this pursuit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: learning revit on the job - complicated roof

You should probably break this roof into several separate components. One for the main roof and then individual elements for the dormers. I have edited the footprint of the main roof where the dormers interact with it. I did this with the ellipse, but maybe a arc would give cleaner results. The other method to use would be to create a mass and apply a roof to each face.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for this reply. This is ridiculous. That is pretty much what I want to do and I bet it took you not much time at all while I am sitting here trying to find the right solution. Learning software is like that though as I remember thinking the exact same thing when I was learning 3ds max. Until you mentioned your idea, I was trying the following:

http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2005/1...nal-blend.html

I forgot to mention that my base octagon for this restaurant does not have equal length sides so I thought this approach may help. However, I am not sure if the final result is really a roof object to to speak since my roof needs to be vaulted on the interior as shown in the one attachment. Anyway, trying to work through the options.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It took me a little while. Even if the sides are different lengths, you can still use the Roof approach. The ceiling on the interior can also be done with two separate ceilings set to different slopes. Are you looking to render this, or just create construction documents?

Login to Give a bone

Ultimately, both. That was the whole point of changing my workflow from autocad/sketchup/3ds max to revit and then maybe some of 3dsmax for rendering. I have not been able to give your roof method a go yet since I have some other projects I am working on. This is what is frustrating about learning revit on your own while also working. I appreciate your help though. Looking forward to digging into this as I need to have the concept model done by next week.

Login to Give a bone

The solution you show is great when the eyebrow is intersecting straight into the pitched roof. From the OP's attached exterior sketch to me it looks like the eyebrow is smoothly sculpted into the pitched roof with now hard intersecting line. How would you do it like that. See attached picture for an example.
    Untitled-1.jpg

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Same processes as I listed above. If I use the Multiple roof approach, I would Fillet Arc the primary roof, and add arcs to the roof by extrusion. Trial & error til it looks correct. If I use a mass, then I would manipulate the masses until I'm happy with them.