Thread: X-Ref losing location of file

Login to Give a bone

Default X-Ref losing location of file

For some reason every time I open a TI drawing it loses the location of the column grid. I have the column grid x-refed into the base core & shell drawing and then the core and shell drawing x-refed into the TI drawing. Every time I open the TI drawing it loses the location of the column grid. It keeps the core and shell drawing though. In Options and under the open and save tab I do have the 'Retain changes to Xref layers' box checked in all the drawings. Any idea as to where else I might check? Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: X-Ref losing location of file

Quote Originally Posted by gsteffen642486 View Post
    For some reason every time I open a TI drawing it loses the location of the column grid. I have the column grid x-refed into the base core & shell drawing and then the core and shell drawing x-refed into the TI drawing. Every time I open the TI drawing it loses the location of the column grid. It keeps the core and shell drawing though. In Options and under the open and save tab I do have the 'Retain changes to Xref layers' box checked in all the drawings. Any idea as to where else I might check? Thanks.
    Does the "TI" drawing have the column grid file listed as an external reference, but noted as "not found", or is the entire file missing from the "TI" file, and not even listed in the External References Manager? If the latter, how is the column grid file attached to the core and shell file - as an "Attach" type or an "Overlay" type? The former should carry through as a nested external reference; the latter will not come along for the ride when you reference the core and shell file. I prefer using "Overlays" and manually attaching all the reference files I need in a new file. It makes like much less complicated and avoids the likelihood of getting circular reference issues or reference file gridlock (when you cannot detach a reference file because it is part of a tangled web of nested references).

Are you using Project Navigator, or are you setting up the files manually?

Login to Give a bone

I figured out what is going on. Because we started a new filing system in the office with this project the Tenant Improvement (TI) column grid is look in the old location for the grid. So I will have to re-path the grid to each of the floors then back into the TI drawings. Thanks David for getting me to thing more about what is going on. And tell the manager that is new file system will make a lot of wasted time re-pathing files.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gsteffen642486 View Post
    I figured out what is going on. Because we started a new filing system in the office with this project the Tenant Improvement (TI) column grid is look in the old location for the grid. So I will have to re-path the grid to each of the floors then back into the TI drawings. Thanks David for getting me to thing more about what is going on. And tell the manager that is new file system will make a lot of wasted time re-pathing files.
    Ah, back in the day, when IT switched our server without telling us, I had to lean heavily on the programming and customization email guild (boy that was awhile ago) to script the repathing.
    But, the last time it happened, luckily Autodesk came out with the Reference Manager and I was able to get by with that quite easily.

ScreenShot124.jpg
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost