Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Revit file for Architecture, Structure and MEP - Good idea or ???

Login to Give a bone

Default One Revit file for Architecture, Structure and MEP - Good idea or ???

Hi All,

I am currently working on a BIM project, the design phase is over and I am asked to create a BIM model out of the CAD set for coordination purposes.

I will be the only one working on the file, so I was thinking to create everything (structure, architecture and MEP) live in one file instead of linking other diciplines in. It's not a big project, so the size won't be a problem. Will this be a good idea or it's better to create separate files for each discipline ??

Thanks in advance for the input.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: One Revit file for Architecture, Structure and MEP - Good idea or ???

Bad idea. Always use sepearate files for each discipline...at least Architecture, Structure and MEP. Bottom line is that there is no "catch all" project template for all disciplines. If you started with an Architectural template, you wouldn't have what you need for MEP. If you started with a Structural template, you wouldn't have what you need for Architectural. Make sense? I'm sure there are plenty more reasons to not do this, but this is the most obvious in my mind.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: One Revit file for Architecture, Structure and MEP - Good idea or ???

Thanks Mistercad for the reply.. That helps.

Login to Give a bone

If you're using the Revit 2013 version with all tools included, it might be feasible. But you have to have a license/seat for that version of Revit.

So if I read that right, your firm did the initial design in CAD and now they want it in Revit for coordination? That's kind of surprising. I'm all for Revit from the get-go, but usually you'll see firms duck out to CAD later on after the initial design. Any idea why they went that route?

Login to Give a bone

well I work in a general contractors company and they got the CAD files of a project, they need me to do the BIM model for coordination purposes and yes I do have revit 2013.

Login to Give a bone

Ah yes that makes sense now. I've heard many GC's are going that route for the obvious benefits.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    If you're using the Revit 2013 version with all tools included, it might be feasible.
    Even if you went this route, you'd still have the problem I described with the templates. The Revit "one" product still comes with project templates for each discipline, not one combined.

Login to Give a bone

While it's true that each project comes with it's own template, you can always use the transfer project standards tool to bring a view template in from any file you have.
    I'm not going to say it's a good idea to put them all in one model, but I'm not going to say it's a bad idea.
    Personally if I was the only guy that would ever be working on that project and the project size was small, I'd consider it. The other question that comes up is "What are you using the model for?" Are you ever going to print off sheets? Is this so you can send it back to a fab shop for them to create parts? Are you sending it to navisworks to do clash detection and then send that back to the design firm for changes? What you're using the model for is more important.
    It's perfectly feasible to create drawings for A,M,E,P & S and Civil all from the same model. Just a matter of having the data available and setting a view templates for each type of drawing you want. Sure you may end up with 6 different 1st floor plans, but you'd have one for each discipline anyway so it's not really any different. You're just saving the time it would take to open and close models when making the changes.

Login to Give a bone

Hi all,

I'm kind of newbie here so please don't despise if I'm wrong.

Firstly how a project considered to be small. Is it considered by it's estimated file size or the building area?

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    The other question that comes up is "What are you using the model for?" Are you ever going to print off sheets? Is this so you can send it back to a fab shop for them to create parts? Are you sending it to navisworks to do clash detection and then send that back to the design firm for changes? What you're using the model for is more important.
    Secondly not sure I understand that what if we are using the model for everything and every part. All shop drawings and all details will be done by ourselves? You mean in this case we should use separate files right?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Misteracad View Post
    Even if you went this route, you'd still have the problem I described with the templates. The Revit "one" product still comes with project templates for each discipline, not one combined.
    Hi Misteracad
    Could you explain why you dont accept this idea?
    We have everything available in one model for all .
    For example, Architecture and structure together.
    MEP- all services together, like piping, ducting and electrical.
    What is the issue. we use revit 2017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast