Thread: Vertical brace-Associated level to plan view-Not Showing

Login to Give a bone

Default Vertical brace-Associated level to plan view-Not Showing

Hello everybody!
    We all know that Revit doesnt work just as we expect sometimes. Among many reasons why a vertical bracing is not showing, after three years of using it I found out that the vertical braces are not shown if they are not below the plan view ATTACH LEVEL.
    I mean, if I created a plan view out of the level 3000, then I place a vertical brace with the top at 4000, even if I change my view range of the plan view up to 4000, 5000 or 6000, the vertical brace is not shown, because is attached to level 4000 and the plan view is attached to level 3000.
    It can be solved by activating the “Show brace above” option, but that doesn’t work for me because it changes my whole project.
    In this case I need to show a bracing that is model below the cut plane of my plan view.
    Have anyone of you get to solve this issue?
    Thanks and regards

I could stop if I wanted to kmarsh's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Vertical brace-Associated level to plan view-Not Showing

Granted, Revit should be smart enough to know that if a brace extends from below a level to above a level that it should be shown on the level, even if "show braces above" is unchecked, "show braces below" is checked and should probably be respected. One potential work-around that comes to mind is to add a model line to the family and add a parameter to control the visibility. However, if this is just a one-off, save the family as BraceAndLine or something add the model line and use that, or just add a detail line to the drawing and call it good. If you want something more automated (as in, this happens all the time and you want a real solution) there are ways to solve this issue via the API+Family Modification.
    Here I've added a model line to the family and overridden it to make it stand out.
    bracemod.png
    Ken Marsh
    Owner, Marsh API

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your reply.
    Is a good recommendation while a solution is being addressed by Autodesk.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Not a structural guy, but in all architecture families there is an <invisible line> linetype because a family will not show up on a plan unless the cut plane intersects it, so you need to put the <invisible line> in an elevation in the family.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Revitaoist for your reply
    I have tested to move the cut plane to inteserct such bracing, in fact, the associtated level already intersects it. I dont think this is a complete matter of the family, but a matter of programming in some way.
    In structural discipline of Revit, the vertical bracing is a Structural Usage which visibility is controlled by the Structural Settings and the representation it is a family. Taking your advice, that representation symbol family might be edited to see if the solution is that way. But in terms of vertical bracing behavior (as far as I know) is not user editable, just an option indicate wether you want to show your braces in the level above the associated level or below, but apparently is strictly the braces below or above the ASSOCIATED level to the plan view, and not the cut plane of such view.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The Revit bracing symbols used in the Structural Settings menu only work if you are using coarse view level. these are only symbols and they are a editable family and does not have any relation to the bracing object other than a link to.
    It appears that bracing objects or the bracing symbols do not appear in plan views at medium and fine view settings.

Login to Give a bone

Hi dmahan, good daym thanks for your reply

Well, you're sure right. As you comment, the vertical bracing symbols for plan views are only visible when you have a coarse view, that parameter is set from Structural Settings where you indicate the distance of offset and the symbol family to use; I already checked, the family is just a symbol 2D line. So the Revit error is pretty obvious, if a Vertical Bracing is attached above the ASSOCIATED LEVEL TO THE CURRENT PLAN VIEW, no matter the adjusments in the cut plane, top plane, bottom plane; the VERTICAL BRACING WILL NOT SHOW.