Thread: Modelling on Param Polygon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Modelling on Param Polygon

Last year Alfredo Medina describe a method for creating Easy Parametric Polygon using formulas for circumscribe & Inscribe polygons. He did not disclose the method to make Inscribed polygon, instead he he said that it can be done by placing the line ends to the circle. I tried this using other method withot placing the line ends to the circle. I thinked that inscribed polygon is also a circumscribed polygon for a smaller imeginery circle. If I can find out the radius of that circle, sides of circumscribed polygon to that circle can be determined, which will be the inscribed polygon required. The family is attached. Chek it & comment, weather I m currect or wrong.
    Now about my problem-- what is the use of this polygon for modelling purpose, because one can not change the number of sides to change the shape of the model.
    Here I attaced a pyramid type model to use as a dome of a Hindu Temple . The model has been created by sweep, using Param polygon (Octagon) as path.
    Can any one guide me how can I create such model by using variable number of sides ? Like when I need I can change the base shape using side number parameters.
    Thanks

LJU
    Last edited by ljupadhyay; 2013-09-04 at 05:30 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Modelling on Param Polygon

Hi, it's me, Alfredo. The parametric polygon can work in three different ways: as a detail component family, as a generic model family, or as a generic model adaptive family. For this temple that you are doing, you need to use the parametric polygon as a generic model adaptive family, combined with the Divide & Repeat feature. Combining those two features, you can create a model like this temple, that can change from 3 sides to 4, to 5, 6, 7, 8, ...12, etc... If I could, I would would send you a link to an article entitled "The Revit Cat and the parametric stars" in which I described the solution for the adaptive family, but unfortunately, the blog is down at the moment (hacked), so all those articles are unavailable at the moment.

Login to Give a bone

Hi, Alfredo
    Thanks for ur attension. Is there any video on You Tube for "Revit Cat and the parametric stars" ?
    I went to your blog today regarding Quater Arc, but socked as it is hacked. I request you to check the attached Quater Arc family as where is the fault.
    Thanks
    LJU

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hi, LJU

Yes, unfortunately, as I said in my previous post, my blog is unavailable today, due to some malicious actions of hackers. I don't know how long it will take me to fix it.
    However, I found this document in my computer (attached), which is a fragment of a handout of one of my classes in Auckland, New Zealand during the RTC 2013 conference. This explains how to use the parametric polygon as an adaptive family, to create a form that can be controlled by parameters such as the number of sides.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Hi, Alfredo
    Thanks for the pdf, I hope it will be helpfull for me
    Thanks

LJU

Login to Give a bone

Hi Alfredo
    I have gone through your attached pdf & made a param polygon family by adaptive & repeat method.
    My problem still not solve. There is no way to make the attached earlier, a pyramid like object as per my profile by this method. How can i break the model for repeat purpose? Now for diff. polygon base I have to first made a required polygon & then use it as path for sweep with my profile. I want to change the base polygon number after the modelling done. Adaptive param polygon family is attahed.
    LJU

LJU