Thread: Revit 2013 - conceptual mass - trying to achieve a parametric mass to drive geometry...please help!!!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2013 - conceptual mass - trying to achieve a parametric mass to drive geometry...please help!!!!

Hello dear BIM colleagues. I have a project that is quite complex, and I want to create a parametric conceptual mass to drive the overall profile changes due to owner/design requests. The project is a tower, that is designed in multiple curvilinear profiles. At the levels where the profiles change, they do so in an undulating effect.

The issue is that this project is going through many iterations, and the profiles keep on changing. I am trying to create a parametric conceptual mass, at the very least to modify the profiles through numerical values, as opposed to keep on redrawing the profiles from scratch, over and over, you get the point...The profiles are arcs, that join tangentially (this is where it get difficult). Unfortunately, revit doesn't love arcs, especially multiple arcs working together. I have been hitting a wall, trying to achieve revit to do parametric tangential arcs !!!

The project is created using Revit 2013.

I am an acting BIM/Revit user, experienced, but have not dealt much with creating masses from parametric tangential arcs...I am open to ideas,

( I have posted this also on revitforum.org, but received no answer, therefore I am trying my luck here...)

Thank you,
    TowerDesign_Geometry.pdf
    Rafael

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2013 - conceptual mass - trying to achieve a parametric mass to drive geometry...please help!!!!

Two conceptual mass objects from lower to mid, and mid to top should model okay. Post a 3d view (jpeg preffered) and identify the error you are encountering.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2013 - conceptual mass - trying to achieve a parametric mass to drive geometry...please help!!!!

The problem is not extruding/lofting the geometry...that's the easy part...per the attached images, the geometry profiles are the tricky parts, because I would like to create a parametric profile (which at this point, needs to be TANGENTIAL ARCS, not SPLINES), to drive the constant change that is occurring due to owner requests...

As for the waves that occur at the change in elevation, I think I can control that with a curtain wall system (adaptive components - pattern based). One of the issues I have is that unless I have ONE complete mass for the entire project, I can not get the curtain-system to match completely on all facades/arcs... I think I have been looking at this wrong the entire time...I realized that I really need to create one large mass, and start cutting away with voids, which is the only way to achieve a complete a UNIFORM mass....but the tangential arc profiles will still remain a problem...voids or mass, I still need to find a way to create the tangency with arcs...

Tower_Mass02.JPGTower_Mass01.JPG

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Try this thread
    http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay....l-Design-Tools

I remember an api that created triangular panels on a frame for a curtain wall that may emulate your tangental curve limit. I'm sure there would be a family for that revitcity or elsewhere.