Thread: Civil 3D tree survey

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Civil 3D tree survey

HI there,
    I am new here and new to the Survey part of the Civil 3D. I am getting my head around figure styles and point syles and things seem to be working well. One thing I know would save a huge amount of time is in the drafting department on labelling Trees in a typical tree survey. Currently the only thing that comes in is the scale of the tree spread from the field book data. The Draftspeople then have to check notes add a label and truck diameter, which can take a lot of time.
    Is there a way we can have decription information that would generate this information automatically so its already done for the draftys? One long way would be to create a block for every know tree decription (some 300+) and asign that code to the Autocad tree block.
    If anyone has some solution I am all ears..
    Cheers
    Al

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3D tree survey

Is the trunk size included in the raw description of the point?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

I have a similar question to asteven420016. I have my desc key set and my point label style set so it brings in a tree block and reads the size of the tree from the raw description and puts a tree size as the point label. is there a way to create a point label style that puts the $1 (tree size) as one part of the label and the $2 (tree species) as a second part of the label?
    for example the raw description reads TT 30 O. I would like the the point label to put an O ($2-Oak) on top with 30 ($1-tree size) on the bottom.

When we used 2009 LDC we had a tree block with attributes and a lisp routine that would read an ASCII file and populate the data of the tree blocks, however this lisp routine does not work in C3D 2014. I can't find another way around this. any suggestions would be helpful.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by voodoosurveyor View Post
    I would like the the point label to put an O ($2-Oak) on top with 30 ($1-tree size) on the bottom.

I don’t see any built in way to do this since the description key set converts the Raw Desc into the Full Desc (TT 30 O into 30” Oak?) –so you only have one element for labeling (the full description) and no way to split that up into two elements for use on separate lines of annotation.

The Point “Name” is another field that you can use for labeling, but you would need some sort of routine to take either the [Oak] or the [30”] and populate the “Name” field.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    I don’t see any built in way to do this since the description key set converts the Raw Desc into the Full Desc (TT 30 O into 30” Oak?) –so you only have one element for labeling (the full description) and no way to split that up into two elements for use on separate lines of annotation.

The Point “Name” is another field that you can use for labeling, but you would need some sort of routine to take either the [Oak] or the [30”] and populate the “Name” field.
    Thank you, I figured as much, I was hoping that there was a way.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post

How do you convert TT 30 O into 30” Oak? As I understand TT would be the field code, how do you get $2 (tree species) to change from O to Oak? That would help us a lot!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    How do you convert TT 30 O into 30” Oak? As I understand TT would be the field code, how do you get $2 (tree species) to change from O to Oak? That would help us a lot!
    It looks like you will not be able to do your coding this way. You could combine your tree species with your field code as this, TTO 30. This would allow you to create a new field code in your Description Key set for oaks. The spaces within your field code are not going to work the way you have coded in the past.

Another solution would be to create a point group and include raw description with that format. With the point group, you could specify a predetermined label style which could spell out the species. The downside of this is you would need multiple point groups, one each for each species, and multiple label styles.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by asteven420016 View Post
    HI there,
    I am new here and new to the Survey part of the Civil 3D. I am getting my head around figure styles and point syles and things seem to be working well. One thing I know would save a huge amount of time is in the drafting department on labelling Trees in a typical tree survey. Currently the only thing that comes in is the scale of the tree spread from the field book data. The Draftspeople then have to check notes add a label and truck diameter, which can take a lot of time.
    Is there a way we can have decription information that would generate this information automatically so its already done for the draftys? One long way would be to create a block for every know tree decription (some 300+) and asign that code to the Autocad tree block.
    If anyone has some solution I am all ears..
    Cheers
    Al
    Asteven420016,
    What is in the raw description you get from the surveyor? Does it have the information you want to display included? (size, type canopy,etc) or is it just the one code "scale of the tree spread?
    Can you give an example of the info your working with?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I openly admit that I don't know enough about the survey side of Civil 3D, but we have our surveyors code the trees based on the fact that it is a tree, species and trunk diameter.

2-13-14_Point Descrip.PNG

we then use the description keys to get the points into a single point group in our survey site plans.

2-13-14_Point group.PNG

By doing this we can also label our trees with the Description point label style to read the diameter and species of the tree.

2-13-14_tree.PNG

Hope this offers some insight.