See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Design Review discontinued?

Login to Give a bone

Default Design Review discontinued?

I'm putting this here rather than the collaboration forum, because this is more of a management and process concern than is is strictly a collaboration topic.

According to Scott Shephard, Autodesk Design Review will no longer be updated or maintained. This seems like a hugely anti-customer move, to quote dgorsman, "C'thulhu-headed". While there's no imperative need for ADR to be released in synch with the annual Acad upgrade cycle, there is a strong need for a DWF view, review, comment, and markup tool that works with the current/future releases of AutoCAD and the DWF/DWFx format. Right now that's Autodesk Design Review, and AFAIK there's nothing equivalent available - certainly nothing that has the integration with AutoCAD.

If you use ADR, or distribute DWF files as deliverables, I'd suggest that you contact your reseller, and/or log a subscription support issue to object to this

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Design Review discontinued?

Fantastic... I just got folks on board with electronic reviews after like a decade of pushing... ~facepalm~
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    According to Scott Shephard, Autodesk Design Review will no longer be updated or maintained.
    Source:[1] & [2]
    Last edited by rkmcswain; 2013-09-23 at 01:42 PM. Reason: add link
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

All AUGI, all the time Richard McDonald's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Fantastic... I just got folks on board with electronic reviews after like a decade of pushing... ~facepalm~
    I feel the same.

Is 360 taking over from Review?
    I just tried a .dwf to my phone and everything worked OK. should work on a none CAD P.C. I will try later.
    Last edited by Statler; 2013-09-23 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Wow that took along time to hit. Source 2 answers this.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Statler View Post
    I feel the same.

Is 360 taking over from Review?
    I just tried a .dwf to my phone and everything worked OK. should work on a none CAD P.C. I will try later.
    Thanks, R.K. Yeah, looking at the links provided, Richard, it appears they're driving for cloud markups with future development. I suppose that makes sense. I've toyed with the 360 capabilities at home, for the books I worked on. It'll have to be addressed with IT, to get let the site/pings through our firewalls... But, then again, after Friday, it's not going to be my problem anymore. I'll let my replacement deal with the transition. ~shrugs~

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS
    Autodesk Design Review 2013 will continue to be available for download from our website, but Autodesk is focusing on delivering enhanced cloud and mobile workflows that integrate with desktop collaboration. Enhancements to the desktop viewing experience will most likely come from that work, and not a desktop-only solution like Design Review. The DWF file format did not change as part of the 2014 releases, so Autodesk Design Review 2013 works perfectly with the 2014 product line.

Thank you for the question. I am not here to delude anyone. If you want an electronic review process, given the current state of Autodesk 360, Autodesk Design Review is still the way to go. But the original question was is Design Review being discontinued, and the answer is yes, it will eventually be replaced by Autodesk 360. Until that time, the 2013 version is available for download from the Autodesk site and works with the 2014 product line since the DWF format did not change.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, R.K. Yeah, looking at the links provided, Richard, it appears they're driving for cloud markups with future development. I suppose that makes sense. I've toyed with the 360 capabilities at home, for the books I worked on. It'll have to be addressed with IT, to get let the site/pings through our firewalls... But, then again, after Friday, it's not going to be my problem anymore. I'll let my replacement deal with the transition. ~shrugs~
    Of course, from a tech perspective, I'm a fan of the cloud and work mobile all the time. But, from an FM perspective, I like to keep our people working off of our server, and the files remaining there. Our facility will be here long after whatever cloud service has died or changed or been abandoned, and you can't always trust the average users to remember to download and save things for permanent record.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

So now we will have to have 360 accounts for all those who view drawings? And what is the revenue enhancment Autodesk will reap from that reward? The whole concept of Design Review was the ability to distribute it to all my Vault users and vendors without paying an extra dime. Moving to Vault and using DWF was supposed to be a cost savings. Like you mentioned above, it took years to get everyone on board with electronic view/markup drawing distribution and now Autodesk pulls the rug out from under us.

Login to Give a bone

Of course, from a tech perspective, I'm a fan of the cloud and work mobile all the time. But, from an FM perspective, I like to keep our people working off of our server, and the files remaining there. Our facility will be here long after whatever cloud service has died or changed or been abandoned, and you can't always trust the average users to remember to download and save things for permanent record.

Make the switch...
    ...Bluebeam! : )

Rocks- integrates with AD and Revit- online cloud for live editing - all around great solution.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Apsis0215 View Post
    Make the switch...
    ...Bluebeam! : )

Rocks- integrates with AD and Revit- online cloud for live editing - all around great solution.
    Bluebeam only does pdf though, right?

Of course, as I mentioned above, moot point, as I'm not a cad/bim mangler anymore.
    The users in my new company all have LT and do their markups in there. DEFINITELY no cloud allowed here.
    The hospital was strict on some things, but, working facilities in a financial services company it's about 1,000x more strict, and no exceptions for power users outside of the money-making departments anymore.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Bluebeam only does pdf though, right?

Of course, as I mentioned above, moot point, as I'm not a cad/bim mangler anymore.
    The users in my new company all have LT and do their markups in there. DEFINITELY no cloud allowed here.
    The hospital was strict on some things, but, working facilities in a financial services company it's about 1,000x more strict, and no exceptions for power users outside of the money-making departments anymore.
    Bluebeam appears to offer a "Studio Server" that allows you to host the markups on your own server, behind your own firewall.

I have not made a proper evaluation of all the options here, but perhaps the biggest issue would be that using Bluebeam requires someone to pay for additional software/access, whereas Design Review did not. Given the oft made statement that the fact that Design Review/DWFs required the outside party to download and install software was often a deal breaker (even when the software was free), I would imagine that the same would apply to Bluebeam markups.

We do not do a lot of electronic collaboration during design, probably because for most projects, most of the engineering is in-house. We do occasionally exchange scans of remarked prints with outside consultants, in between face-to-face meetings, when verbal communication (telephone or email) is deemed inefficient, so I remain interested in ways to make that easier for the project teams. Spending money on additional software would require a significant bang for the buck.

We would probably do an on-line meeting, sharing a live session of the authoring software and any other electronic documents, if we needed to have a significant design review where participants could not all be in the same room.