Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Third party arx for acadr14

  1. #1


    Default Third party arx for acadr14

    I have a third party program for Acad14 that I have modified extensively to suit my use. Can anyone help with a solution on how to use this program in Acad2012?
    The company that I originally purchased the program from no longer exists, so I do not have access to sorce code.
    I can appload the program Ok, but the lisp functions contained in the arx file are not recognised.

  2. #2
    Certified AUGI Addict rkmcswain's Avatar
    Join Date
    2004-09
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,103


    Default Re: Third party arx for acadr14

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotechdesign421558 View Post
    I have a third party program for Acad14 that I have modified extensively to suit my use.
    Do you mean AutoCAD 2014 or R14?

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotechdesign421558 View Post
    The company that I originally purchased the program from no longer exists, so I do not have access to sorce code.
    How did you modify it extensively, if you do not have the source code? Besides that, you'll need one of the two things above.

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotechdesign421558 View Post
    I can appload the program Ok, but the lisp functions contained in the arx file are not recognised.
    So you don't get an error when the ARX is loaded?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

  3. #3


    Default Re: Third party arx for acadr14

    Sorry rkmcswain, I guess I did not explain my problem very well. I am new to this so please bear with me.
    The program I have is called EzDraft for Autocad R14 and I use it for design of building services such as plumbing, sanitary drainage, water, etc. Basically it a simple PID type program.
    The files I have modified are only the menu file, which I have modified to change the layer names, labels, references to blocks (my own) it uses, etc, to 'Australianise' it. I have also modified slide files, etc, to suit.
    I can load the program into Acad12 OK using filke support and menuload, and all seems normal. It is when I actually try a command (like insert block from a drop-down menu) that I have problems.
    Acad says the command (which I assume is a routine within the ARX file that acad calls on?) is not recognised.
    I assume that there is something in the AEX that limits the program to operate in R14 only? And if so am I stuck with it or can I fix it so can use it on later versions.
    Many thanks in advance.

  4. #4
    Certified AUGI Addict rkmcswain's Avatar
    Join Date
    2004-09
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,103


    Lightbulb Re: Third party arx for acadr14

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotechdesign421558 View Post
    I can load the program into Acad12 OK using filke support and menuload, and all seems normal.
    When you say "load the program", are you talking about loading the menu? Because an ARX file for R14 will not load in AutoCAD 2012.

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotechdesign421558 View Post
    It is when I actually try a command (like insert block from a drop-down menu) that I have problems.
    As expected.

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotechdesign421558 View Post
    Acad says the command (which I assume is a routine within the ARX file that acad calls on?) is not recognised.
    I assume that there is something in the AEX that limits the program to operate in R14 only? And if so am I stuck with it or can I fix it so can use it on later versions.
    Yes, generally speaking each major version of AutoCAD requires 3rd party ARX apps to be recompiled using tools/libraries for that version (autolisp is fairly exempt from this).

    See #6 here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...73128#section6 , and see this for probably more info that you want to know on it... http://through-the-interface.typepad...ibility_o.html
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

  5. #5
    AUGI Addict
    Join Date
    2015-12
    Posts
    2,031


    Default Re: Third party arx for acadr14

    Even if the ARX could be loaded there may be licensing issues as well.
    If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
    Some say beauty is in the eye of the Beholder... perhaps so, but I've only seen the disintegration beam.
    Everyone else being wrong is not the same thing as being right.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    2013-11
    Posts
    2


    Default Re: Third party arx for acadr14

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotechdesign421558 View Post
    I can load the program into Acad12 OK
    What are the signs that the program have loaded properly? Maybe it's still not ARX-program?

Similar Threads

  1. 3rd Party add-on
    By jimmy.long in forum Software
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2011-12-21, 05:51 PM
  2. Third Party Menus
    By candrew777 in forum AutoCAD Customization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2005-01-28, 10:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •