Thread: adjust zoomfactor with shift or ctrl key

Login to Give a bone

Default adjust zoomfactor with shift or ctrl key

Does anyone have or is able to create a routine for AutoCAD to temporarily change zoomfactor while holding down shift or ctrl key? For example, I have set my zoomfactor to 60 but in certain situations I need it to be only 10 or even 3.

If I could just hold down shift or ctrl while using the mouse wheel in a particular situation to slow down zooming rather then changing the zoomfactor forth and back this would be a great help. Perhaps even a combination of shift and ctrl keys could be programmed like:

shift only=zoomfactor 20
    shift+ctrl=zoomfactor 3
    ctrl only=zoomfactor 30

Can this be done?

Juergen

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: adjust zoomfactor with shift or ctrl key

I think this would require a reactor to monitor when you're holding the shift key, or the shift+ctrl, or the ctrl only key...
    That reactor would then modify the zoom factor and place you in the zoom command.
    Sorry I cannot be of more help than that, and it's very possible this is obtainable via more standard lisp routine...but a quick google search did not find any, leading me to think the reactor may be necessary.
    I'm not guru enough to write one for you but perhaps you could look into it..

Login to Give a bone

I'm pretty sure this will require one to step up to at least the .NET API... Thankfully, that's why someone smarter than I developed Managed HotKeys.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I think you are right, it probably requires a reactor but I would have no clue how or were to start.

I think this is an important feature and it looks like other users missing this feature as well. Apparently it was requested in early 2012 but did not make it on the Autodesk's to-do-list, at least not into the 2013 version. Not sure if it was added/fixed in the 2014 version, perhaps someone could let us know.

Here are other threads I found were people discussing the issue and made good suggestions.

For example suggestions were made to introduce various system variables to give the user more mouse wheel zoom control like :
    - ZOOMOUTFACTOR
    - ZOOMFACTORLEGACY
    - ZOOMRK
    - zoomfactorIN
    - zoomfactorOUT

Unfortunately none of the system variables made it into the AutoCAD 2013 version and Autodesk seems to ignore the wishes of their users. Not sure about the 2014 version though.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by juhurus423094 View Post
    ..... and Autodesk seems to ignore the wishes of their users.
    Looking at the larger picture here, Autodesk is responsible to their shareholders first and foremost, and quite honestly little tweaks this like do not sell new licenses.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

They also increase complexity while not being in high demand. More to the point, AutoDesk hasn't been hired by "us" to create a product to a specific configuration so there is ZERO guarantee anything we wish for will be incorporated. We pay to use something with features they decide will be in demand. Its a minor difference but an important one for understanding the relationship and what is expected.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Is there anything new on this topic?
    The problem with the zoom has been on my nerves for years and today I came across this thread.

Maik