Thread: Revit reporting Central File is not available, no one else is in file, can't save, won't create local file

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit reporting Central File is not available, no one else is in file, can't save, won't create local file

A user was just working in a local file of a workshared project when the "Central File is being accessed by someone else and is not available" message, with the key, popped up while he was trying to SWC. No one else is in the file.

I tried saving the file as a new Central file. It did save and create the file, but then the same message came up again. I hit Cancel and it said File Not Saved. When I closed, it asked me if I wanted to save changes, which I clicked No. Then I tried to open that new file, and the Create New Local box was grayed out. I tried detaching the file, creating ANOTHER new file, and the same things as above happened again. Have tried the same things from 2 different workstations, both giving the same results.

Any idea what could be going on or what I need to do?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit reporting Central File is not available, no one else is in file, can't save, won't create local file

Looks like there are 2 files inside the backup folder for the Central file in question that are "stuck". I can't delete them even with the Central file itself gone. If I make a new Central File with the same name, I get the same errors again.

Not sure how it got like that but somehow I'm going to have to figure out how to force delete them off of the server.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit reporting Central File is not available, no one else is in file, can't save, won't create local file

We have had some deleting issues with Revit in the past that were solved on our Win 7 workstations by going into the folder and search options of the windows explorer and i the view tab making sure that the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is checked. It has something to do with Revit accessing the file while it shows the little thumbnail, even if Revit was closed and the folder wasn't displaying the thumbnail. Totally random shot in the dark, but it might help. It took us a long time to figure this one out with trial and error. We haven't really experienced it since Revit 2012, but who knows...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    .... somehow I'm going to have to figure out how to force delete them off of the server.
    Start the server in safe mode and delete.