See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Isometrics and Riser Diagrams

Login to Give a bone

Default Isometrics and Riser Diagrams

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but is anyone implementing any new methods for Isos and Risers?

- A 3d view w/anno doesn't cut it on large buildings.
    - 2d lines in CAD or Revit is our standard.

Since isos and risers are usually completed towards the end of a project, the best I can come up with is to export a coarse 3d view (with the proper view settings) to ACAD and either adjust the lines there or copy and paste back to Revit and adjust/annotate.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Isometrics and Riser Diagrams

I've tried a few different things to use elevation views to create electrical riser diagrams from the model, but the only thing that I found that might work was to add a set of two symbolic lines, one for front/back and another for right/left visibility, and create visibility and offset parameters for each one. It would work, but the doing of it would be far too cumbersome. We just stick with a set of stock symbols and copy/paste them around to create a one-line in a drafting view. If AD could create the ability to add annotation symbol families to equipment families and allow +/- offsets it would be pre, but I suspect that day will never come.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joseph_turc View Post
    I don't want to beat a dead horse, but is anyone implementing any new methods for Isos and Risers?

- A 3d view w/anno doesn't cut it on large buildings.
    - 2d lines in CAD or Revit is our standard.

Since isos and risers are usually completed towards the end of a project, the best I can come up with is to export a coarse 3d view (with the proper view settings) to ACAD and either adjust the lines there or copy and paste back to Revit and adjust/annotate.
    We're still doing full iso risers on smaller buildings. On bigger jobs where we can't fit a whole riser on one sheet, we'll split up the restrooms into individual risers and have a bunch of smaller risers on multiple sheets. Seems to work so far.

Login to Give a bone

BenSammis - The offsetting is not a bad idea for risers. I may have to explore this more.

AaronC - We follow that same approach, although we have gotten away with annotating a 3d view and calling it an iso!

In Wisconsin we are stuck submitting isos for all plumbing projects.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joseph_turc View Post
    BenSammis - The offsetting is not a bad idea for risers. I may have to explore this more.
    It'll work, it's just a ton of overhead time duplicating the graphic symbol four different times and adding the parameters to control the visibility and offsets. If all of your electrical rooms were always very long and narrow so none of the equipment overlapped in elevation it'd be fine, but that pretty much never happens. If a negative offset (ie, left of the reference plane the symbol offset is tied to) were possible it'd be a lot simpler, and if the symbols weren't view-direction dependent, I'd already have done it. If you can come up with a more efficient method, please share, because at this point, this is the one area where we're still stuck using lines and text instead of intelligent modeling.

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

I'm wondering if we could creatively used the new Displaced Views feature in 2014 to make a complete riser diagram that can still be exaggerated for clarity.

Login to Give a bone

That sounds intriguing. If we had 2014 installed anywhere in the company, I'd give it a whirl.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I recently had a large footprint building that had small scattered patches of congested piping. My solution for a single riser sheet was having six 3D views on one sheet where the section boxes were cut down to the congested areas then all six were arranged so that the long runs of pipe would line up but were essentially absent from the sheet.

Login to Give a bone

Below is the approach I've taken to isometric diagrams in Revit. I use a few 3D views with each major portion of plumbing cropped, then line up those views on a sheet. Lastly I use detail lines to indicate how the views fit together sort of like a lego instruction manual.

Isometric.JPG