Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit: Tagging Legend Components

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit: Tagging Legend Components

My firm incorporates window elevations on our sheets as opposed to a window schedule. I recently began making a window legend to display all the window types in a project instead of multiple elevation views compiled on a sheet. Does anyone know when we will be able to tag components in a legend (i.e. window + window elevation tag)? Or, does anyone know a "workaround" to make the legend components, or a generic annotation, act parametric like in a standard view? Thanks in advance.

ian darnell
    Ft. Collins, CO

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit: Tagging Legend Components

Do a quick search on using phases as legends. Exactly what you are looking for.

Andre Carvalho

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by iandanield View Post
    My firm incorporates window elevations on our sheets as opposed to a window schedule. I recently began making a window legend to display all the window types in a project instead of multiple elevation views compiled on a sheet. Does anyone know when we will be able to tag components in a legend (i.e. window + window elevation tag)? Or, does anyone know a "workaround" to make the legend components, or a generic annotation, act parametric like in a standard view? Thanks in advance.

ian darnell
    Ft. Collins, CO
    You have found out exactly why so many peoples comment about Legends not being sorted out properly....No - you cant tag in legends

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    You have found out exactly why so many peoples comment about Legends not being sorted out properly....No - you cant tag in legends
    I know there are a great many that want to have live tags in elevations. I too would like to use this. First they'd have to fix the issue of instance parameters in Legends before tagging could really work. Otherwise, you'd only be able to tag Type parameters in Legend views. You cannot edit, or use anything other than the default (when the family was originally loaded) instance parameters in a Legend. Maybe that is why you cannot tag items in a legend. Besides, if you could tag items in a legend, then you'd never be able to create a Graphic Symbols legend, because then Tags would need an object in the legend to place the tag.

What is really needed is a second Legend type view for these graphic Schedules, such as windows in elevation, with live detail marks and tags.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Revit: Tagging Legend Components

Have a look :

I think it'll help
    Last edited by iman.1979; 2011-09-20 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Type mistake

Login to Give a bone

very cool workaround - but somehow I cant see myself using it...its just so wrong!!!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Pretty vexing that a $5K + piece of software requires a work-around to accommodate a graphic representation that is completely commonplace in residential practices.

We're not all designing skyscrapers, and the investment in Revit for residential firms is a big one. It's too bad to have to waste time finding the answer to this question, and moreover, to then have to implement a work-around that completely undermines the parametric qualities of Revit to begin with. It's either this or changing our drawing standards, which contractors are already accustomed to.

Revit is wonderful, but it's frustrating to be strong-armed into a particular graphic representation (or lack thereof) in construction drawings. A separate tagable legend view just seems like a no-brainer. My .02

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Revit: Tagging Legend Components

This was a problem back in Version 2008 when I frist started unsing Revit. I have been using Archicad at my current practise now for 3 years.

I wanted to seel the benfits of Revit and this one feature is possibly enough to kill the other selling points. Archicad litterally has a "press the button" add on that schedules and dimensions the windows that are used in the project.

I cannot belivw that Revit still does not address this and that you cannot, tag, mirror or automatically select only used windows in a project.

Login to Give a bone

well - if you want an add on - look at tools4revit scheduling add-on......

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by angus.110169 View Post
    ...Archicad literally has a "press the button" add on that schedules and dimensions the windows that are used in the project...
    Too true, I can echo that. Having used ArchiCAD in the past it has had the capability of producing annotated legends with elevation views of doors etc. for the last 10 years or more!

It is almost unbelievable that Autodesk have not fixed this yet. Without it Legends are not really part of any BIM workflow.
    Last edited by andrewharle; 2013-10-15 at 01:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast