Thread: X-Ref layers

Login to Give a bone

Default X-Ref layers

I have a building that I want to hightlight from the other builidings around it. The buildings were designed using Arch. 2012 using their respective layers, in my AutoCAD drawing I x refed in the surrounding building models with the idea of changing all the layers to a single layer that has been screened down to 35. The layer properties say/show all the layers within the x ref are on my screened layer but the colors within the drawing did not change therefore not plotting lighter than the building I'm trying to highlight. I've also created a new layer called "x ref" to use when I x ref the building model in. Neither has given me the result I'm looking for.

Am I missing something else? TIA.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: X-Ref layers

Quote Originally Posted by Noto81 View Post
    I have a building that I want to hightlight from the other builidings around it. The buildings were designed using Arch. 2012 using their respective layers, in my AutoCAD drawing I x refed in the surrounding building models with the idea of changing all the layers to a single layer that has been screened down to 35. The layer properties say/show all the layers within the x ref are on my screened layer but the colors within the drawing did not change therefore not plotting lighter than the building I'm trying to highlight. I've also created a new layer called "x ref" to use when I x ref the building model in. Neither has given me the result I'm looking for.

Am I missing something else? TIA.
    You may be able to place all of the external references you wish to plot as screened on the same layer, but you will not be able to impose that layer's color and/or plot style on the objects within each external reference. In the host file (the one with the external references), you will need to verify that VISRETAIN is set to 1 (assuming you want the changes to the externally dependent layers to stick) and then you will need to change the color and/or plot style of each externally dependent layer that you want screened. You can use the built-in external reference layer filters in the Layer Manager to do so fairly quickly.