See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIM Kickoff Meeting FAQ/Revit Project Kickoff FAQ

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb BIM Kickoff Meeting FAQ/Revit Project Kickoff FAQ

This is a documentation format that we have been using in the Pacific Northwest to help document critical information related to a Revit project's setup and collaboration. This FAQ was discussed in the August 2013 AUGIWorld issue. Many companies along the West Coast of the USA have embraced this FAQ or a modified version of it for their own use.

The advantage to this FAQ compared to a BIM Execution Plan (BxP) is that the FAQ concisely addresses specific issues related to Revit project setup whereas the BxP is usually too general in nature.

If you have suggestions for the FAQ please share them here and I will continue to update the FAQ for everyone.

P.S. Yes, you may reformat the document so that it doesn't have the Sparling letterhead on it.

Updated the FAQ to the 2014-10-09 version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RobertB; 2014-11-06 at 08:03 PM.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: BIM Kickoff Meeting FAQ/Revit Project Kickoff FAQ

Thanks, this document has a lot of good information!

Login to Give a bone

Robert,

Thank you for sharing! This is a great kick-off document. It is more specific that what I had been using and it addresses specific issues affecting MEP users that the architects may not always be aware of.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Good work Robert,
    The only thing I would add is a bit more about coordination - the when and how much is to be done.
    We have found that it is the level of coordination that is what costs the most for us. Without coordination Revit modelling doesn't cost more than AutoCAD for someone with experience.
    We are asked to model and coordinate to a certain level and then the architects still change their design after this. If we allowed for these changes in our bid price we would never win the job, so we have found it necessay to have the fight at the begining of a project and tell the architect that we wont coordinate items until they have finished design that will affect those items. Architects don't like it and don't always agree, but without this we have lost money on almost every job.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    This is a documentation format that we have been using in the Pacific Northwest to help document critical information related to a Revit project's setup and collaboration. This FAQ was discussed in the August 2013 AUGIWorld issue. Many companies along the West Coast of the USA have embraced this FAQ or a modified version of it for their own use.

The advantage to this FAQ compared to a BIM Execution Plan (BxP) is that the FAQ concisely addresses specific issues related to Revit project setup whereas the BxP is usually too general in nature.

If you have suggestions for the FAQ please share them here and I will continue to update the FAQ for everyone.

P.S. Yes, you may reformat the document so that it doesn't have the Sparling letterhead on it.
    That's a GREAT checklist, Bob, thanks for posting.

The one thing that I see missing from #49 and #50... where's the Technical Rep for the Owner?
    Obviously, if the project is using BIM, but, the owner's Standards & Specifications and Contract don't require it, that's not necessary, but, if their Specs DO require it, they need to be included early on. Why debate project coordinates on the team, if the owner has some set up that they need you to use?

(and, yes, I specify technical rep, because, while the PM and others might appreciate the cost savings due to reduced RFI's during design and construction, they often-times have no idea what the CAD Manager/Engineers/skilled maintenance personnel will be using the models for afterward, just as they had no clue what we did with the CAD files and equipment data once they turned them over to us.)
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2014-12-17 at 04:09 PM. Reason: highlighting added so people catch it when they scroll by
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

This is very helpful. WE are just getting into Revit as clients are requiring it. this will help to ensure no holes are left unfilled.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for sharing. A lot more complete than what I have been using.

Login to Give a bone

you are a champion Robert ....thanks for sharing....I don't see any need for change..to be honest I will be removing couple of parts for my own use

Login to Give a bone

Robert..this is great!!! I'm just getting into the wonderful world of REVIT last year. And have created a binder of snapshots to remember how in the heck I finally figured something out. I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the problems have been not Having a Revit Coordination Standards setup...and viola!!! I find this super great template that I can add to my library.
    I do have a question regarding #45: ""arch families cutting holes in the ceiling""
    I was going to add to this question, but wanted to make sure I am correct on my assessment:

ADDITION TO #45: "After design has been approve for modeling, "No ceilings can be redrawn in the arch model for this will cause issues as well, only modifications..."

MY ASSESSMENT: "IF I HAVE ALREADY COPY/MONITORED THE LIGHTING FIXTURES FROM THE ARCHITECT MODEL AND AM PRETTY MUCH IN THE CD PHASE..." "THEN I RELOAD THE ARCH MODEL AND SOMEHOW ALL MY FIXTURES HAVE LOST HOSTING TO THE CEILING"....FROM WHAT I HAVE READ...THE ARCHITECT CANNOT CREATE NEW CEILINGS FOR THIS WILL HAPPEN TO ANYTHING HOSTED TO THEM..."THE ONLY CHANGES CAN BE MODIFYING THE CEILING"

Thanks for listening and please let me know if I should maybe be directing this elsewhere.
    Perrie

the Wild, Wild West! (previously DC/VA, NYC...)
    Login to Give a bone

Robert:

Thanks for sharing! This is great.

I've been encouraging my Revit MEP peeps that the first step in setting up any Revit-based project is the BIM kickoff meeting, ..and to act incredulous if/when the Architect doesn't schedule one.
    However I just haven't had time to assemble a complete document myself, so you have just saved me a lot of time. I'll share your FAQ doc as an example and leave your header on it -- i try to give credit where credit is due.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast