Thread: Improve the way "reference other view" view selection works

Login to Give a bone

Default Improve the way "reference other view" view selection works

When inserting a section and referencing another view I find that finding the view you want in the list can be difficult. Usually I am given a sheet reference when using drafting view details and not the name of the view. Put the sheet ref first so it is quicker to scan through the list when the refs are all stacked. Making it searchable would be nice too or be able to sort the list by sheet.
    We typically have a lot of standard details in drafting views and it takes too long to sift through the list, sometimes 2 or 3 times to find the right view.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Improve the way "reference other view" view selection works

Egan BIM Resources has developed an app, View Name By Sheet Number, that organizes the view list just as you describe.

You can select which types of views to include in the renaming: Plan Views, Section/ Elevation Views, Drafting Views and, coming soon, 3d Views. Ideal for managing a large list of standard details.

Check out the app here.

Also available on the Revit Apps Exchange.

Login to Give a bone

We've just keep the old sheet number - detail number for view names. ie detail 2 on sheet s-501 would be detail 501-02. Sorts nice and it's easy to find.
    However I would like the option manually enter the number/name, since I know what that is.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Dave, you may want to take a look at the View Reference Master tool. It should do just what you want.

It is in the workFlow addin by Revolution Design. See link for trial...

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    We've just keep the old sheet number - detail number for view names. ie detail 2 on sheet s-501 would be detail 501-02. Sorts nice and it's easy to find.
    However I would like the option manually enter the number/name, since I know what that is.
    Not to put you down, but IMO I find this method lazy and causes more problems than it solves. This is because the title is inherently different so people ignore naming views correctly with appropriate descriptions, the numbers often don't get updated when they are moved on a sheet so you can't even trust them, and when you bring views into a new project you have to renumber them all immediately or you don't know which ones are right and which ones are wrong. If you name them appropriately the list groups them and your description should further group them while also describing the content, and the detail number and sheet are already available at the end of each line automatically. It's just common sense. If, however, you could sort the list by sheet, that would be fine, or if your numbering auto-updated in the title that would be fine. But otherwise I just find it a waste of time, and unreliable.