Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controlling nested Family Type parameter with a forumla referencing another Family Type parameter

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Controlling nested Family Type parameter with a forumla referencing another Family Type parameter

Hello All,

I am trying to improve the usability of a family with multiple nested components. I have the family working mostly the way I want it, but I'm having trouble with the nest Electrical Symbols. Since Revit does not allow for Generic Annotation of a Nested Family to show up in the project environment, I need to nest the generic annotation family in my parent family. I am trying to control the family type of the generic annotation, to align with the family type of the electrical outlet. I'm trying to write a "IF" formula to link the two parameters for several specific types, and not having much success. Below is a simplified example of what I'm trying to accomplish. Could anyone let me know if this is possible, and steer me to the right formula language?

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Outlet <Electrical Fixture> = Duplex Outlet : 120V
    Options:
    120V
    120V SB

Outlet Symbol <Generic Annotation> = if(Outlet = Duplex Outlet : 120V, Symbol : 120VSB, Symbol : 120V)

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Controlling nested Family Type parameter with a forumla referencing another Family Type parameter

Why not simply having types within the electrical fixture family, with two family type parameters, one for the geometry of the fixture (generic model), and one for the annotation of each fixture (generic annotation), and then, in each type of the electrical fixture family, you select the correspondent set of model & annotation.

It is possible to use formulas but before getting into that, I'd like to know if there is a reason for not using types to create the combinations.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Controlling nested Family Type parameter with a forumla referencing another Family Type parameter

Thank you for responding Alfredo,

The reason being is the Generic Annotation that displays the Symbology of the outlet does not display in the project when the outlet gets nested into another family. The outlet family works as expected when placed into a project file, and there are separate types to choose from. I didn't say this before, but I also have nested into the parent our family for Specialty Power, with all it's types (208, 208 UPS, 208 Standby, 220, 230, 240, 480, ...). I also am unable to link the parameters of a nested family to another nested family, which would have probably solved this issue without having separate types of my generic annotation family.

I hope to hear your solution.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    I'd like to know if there is a reason for not using types to create the combinations.
    Sorry I didn't respond to this part of your post.

The parent family (laboratory fume hoods) would end up having potentially hundreds of Types for different electrical configurations. I would still have to manage two family type parameters, to make sure they were coordinated, one for the outlet family & one for the symbology of the outlet.

Thank you again,
    Jeff S.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    Since Revit does not allow for Generic Annotation of a Nested Family to show up in the project environment, I need to nest the generic annotation family in my parent family..
    That's the part that I don't understand from the original post. Are you referring to annotations not displaying in elevation views? Because I can see nested generic annotations in plan view. In what case exactly they don't show?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Are you referring to annotations not displaying in elevation views? Because I can see nested generic annotations in plan view. In what case exactly they don't show?
    Sorry Alfredo,

If you take an outlet family with the associated nested Generic Annotation (GA), and nest that into another family, the GA will not show up in a project file. You'll be able to see it in the family editor, but not in a project. Give it a try and see if it is the same for you please.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    ...If you take an outlet family with the associated nested Generic Annotation (GA), and nest that into another family, the GA will not show up in a project file. You'll be able to see it in the family editor, but not in a project. Give it a try and see if it is the same for you please..
    The nested generic annotation that is nested into the electrical fixture family, which is nested into another model family and loaded into a project, does show up in a project in plan view if the electrical fixture family is shared.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; 2013-10-13 at 02:08 AM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you Alfredo,

That is much easier than writing a complex formula to control the families. Sounds like I have a few more families to modify.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

So in additional offline conversations with Alfredo about my specific family, it came to light that the EF family needs to be built so that it is able to be hosted by a horizontal plane. I have had to rebuild the outlet family, no big deal. I tested it in my parent family and it works well. Now, when I add a level of complexity to the parent family by nesting in another EF for specialty power, it works in Family Editor, but fails in the project environment. This is so frustrating!!! I think I'm going to create a master EF family that has all my symbology & types, just to make it work.

I have saved out the error message (for whatever that's worth), but I can't tell what the problem is. Can anyone decipher this for me?

Cheers,
    Jeff S.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you Alfredo for the workflow. Super family for the Electrical Fixture containing all required types is working!!! Switching between two separate nested families wasn't working very well. A few more tweaks and this family will be street legal.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast