Thread: Upgrade from 8GB to 16 GB RAM?

Login to Give a bone

Default Upgrade from 8GB to 16 GB RAM?

Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
    Revit 2013
    HP, 8GB RAM
    Intel Xenon, CPU E31270, 3.40 GHz (I believe quad core)

My Revit model is just starting to push 55 MB today and for the first time my computer has started to get a little jerky when orbiting, panning, zooming, moving. Also I tried to do an interior rendering with sun and interior lights on with some amb. occlusion on and a little photo-exposure. Revit thought about it for 10 minutes and then told me the computers brain hurt(I was running out of memory and may experience slow reaction as a result) and I should jump off a cliff before it popped-up a black screen instead of my rendering.

So is upgrading from 8 to 16GB of RAM going to help me with? I have a feeling the big response will be "what's your graphics card?"

NVIDIA Quadro 2000- set to let 3d applications decide hardware-acceleration.

So My question is if I am going to hit-up my boss for a hardware upgrade where should I begin. I leveraged for more RAM, suspecting it will be the cheapest bang for his $130.00.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Upgrade from 8GB to 16 GB RAM?

More ram would be a good thing.....but check to see if your HP is capable first. We have to update about 15 computers soon as they are maxed out at 8gb (Dell)

Video card can help too...in each of those new 15's we are adding Quadro's to them...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Your specs seem fine, probably just needs a restart. Does it do this on a fresh boot? I always tell my co workers to turn off their machine when they go to lunch to clear the RAM and eliminate any applications that may be running in the background they forgot about. I can't count the times I've had Photoshop running in the background and forgot about it. Old school Revit users remember the days when Revit could not run with anything else running, especially internet browsers. Also clear your 'msconfig.exe' of any startup applications you don't need.

All AUGI, all the time BomberAIA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I think 16 GB will be minimum. Both my MacBook Pro & desktop have 16 GB. My Mac Pro has 20 GB.