See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's left to learn

Login to Give a bone

Default What's left to learn

Hi guys,

I am a 3 year cad operator, been doing this since i got out of school. During my 3 years in oil and gas, I've been using programs such as autocad, procad and Cadworx. Since the day I've started up until now, I've been learning new tips and tricks with each software. This is what ive learned to do thus far;

-Modify .Pgp parameters & use hotkeys for every day to day commands
    -alternate default CUI macros

My question for the community is, what else can I learn/do with the software to better enhance my efficiency with the software? I know there is a TON more for me to learn with the program, i just dont know what those things are. Anyone with immense knowledge about the software, please dont be shy

thanks in advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What's left to learn

Networking, setvars, and AutoLISP basics come to mind. IMO an Acad operator ought to be able to use some trivial LISP at the command line, as well as know the names and settings options for common system variables. And, working in any kind of office environment efficiently basically requires knowing at least something about how that office network is configured and operating.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

System variables, plotting settings, standardizing procedures, and file organization. But don't skip knowing your industry. If you don't understand the temperature derating for higher wall thickness of A-234 GR WPB fittings you won't know that the engineer should have use the spec with the low temp materials, and you'll need to remodel later.

Login to Give a bone

Define "CAD Operator".

I'd say that dgorsman's reply, in particular, really applies to draughtsman/drafter or higher.

An operator normally does little more than transcribe existing paper sketches to CAD.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Define "CAD Operator".

I'd say that dgorsman's reply, in particular, really applies to draughtsman/drafter or higher.

An operator normally does little more than transcribe existing paper sketches to CAD.
    ProCAD AutoFLOW can pretty much be a tool used by CAD monkeys, but CADWorx certainly requires some design knowledge. The piping industry has a lot of users who are much more designer than operator/transcriber, to the point where they are engineers in all but official name and stamp.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

H Dailo,

This question really made me stop and think - how do you find out what you don't know?

Your question inspired me to write this blog post:AutoCAD, What's left to learn? http://cadso.co/18gARBS (There are already a couple of great tips in the comments!).

My main tip for you is to sign up to RSS feeds, email subscriptions lists or social media. Let the tips come to you

Good luck

Paul

Login to Give a bone

and lets not forget the basics -- how to use a pencil and paper to draw what you see.

Login to Give a bone

In the past year, I have "self taught" myself so many things that I've actually become the "go-to" person in our office for all things CAD - even my boss comes to me. Oh, and I am the youngest in the department.

How did I do it? I don't accept my knowledge and the workflow as final. I'm always trying to find an easier way to do anything and everything that's repetitive. Odds are, you're not the first to have the same desire. These forums and a few others have been great resources. Search first. If you don't find an answer, post with as much info as you can, and sometimes attachments help as it may be a file-specific problem.

Some things I've found or learned how to do that have become time savers, regardless of custom or new features:
    Create a polyline and automatically fillet it with a pre-defined radius (to represent conduit layout in 2D)
    Do a find/replace with more than one string being searched and more than 1 file (all open drawings, current drawing directory, include or exclude sub-directories)
    Quickly Insert standards such as Styles & Layers into a drawing
    Quickly Plot with pre-defined settings (implementing that into my CUI now)
    Controlling Annotative objects & scales
    Using Macros to quickly insert commonly used blocks - bypassing scales and/or rotates, or forcing insertion/rotation points to particular snap settings.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head. Bottom line, always look to make your workflow either easier, faster, or both. If it requires a lot of time to research and develop, don't let that prevent you from doing it. You'll learn more about the software, and can always bring those skills with you where ever you go.

Oh, and stay on top of new features, even if you don't have the latest software. It can either be a selling point to your boss to acquire the latest software if they're truly valuable to your workflow, or by simply being aware, you can utilize the new feature(s) when you have that software.

Login to Give a bone

I'd really like to see a monkey that knows how to use autocad, or any other CAD software, or even know how to draft, or even be able to draw a straight line.

Why do people feel the need to belittle other people. Do you call waiters "food service monkeys"?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by prisimage400995 View Post
    I'd really like to see a monkey that knows how to use autocad, or any other CAD software, or even know how to draft, or even be able to draw a straight line.

Why do people feel the need to belittle other people. Do you call waiters "food service monkeys"?
    Um, I'm not certain I've ever heard that term as an overt insult. It's just a phrase people use widely throughout the industry and I do not feel that most people think much of it. I've heard other terms, just as CAD jockey, but, they don't seem to be as universally adopted. ~shrugs~
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast