See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paper size vs text height

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Paper size vs text height

we have a half scale plot config that we switch too if a half scale set is need. basically for example a point 5 line weight becomes a point 35 line weight and so on down the line. now if a PDF is use to make a half scale set, most PDF programs such as Bluebeam will scale the line weights down.

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for everyone's comments.
    now I think that any national standards would not be helpful for this case.
    Basically the drawing scale on a reduced size print is not matched with any standard scales and no one can tell the true drawing scale on the reduced size print.

tedg
    Are you expecting them to always be printed at a reduced size?
    Not us, but our client(s).

rkmcswain
    Anyway, that's not the point..... we do have one client that expects deliverables on 11x17 *and* wants text at 0.12". This just means we put less model on each sheet in order to leave room for this giant text.
    This is my concern.
    I think this is horrible splitting one drawing to two small sheets when it was possible fitting in a single A0 or A1 sheet.

Again, by using reduced size the CAD drawing scale is meaningless.
    We normally set the drawing to a standard scale (ie. 1:50, 1:100, 1:200 ...).
    Now everyone can start a drawing with a scale of 1:37.5, 1:85, 1:136, 1:578 or simply whatever they want because of trying to fit models in one small sheet.
    The CAD drawing setup then would make no sense at all.
    Furthermore, the details drawn would be just wasting the drafters' time because no one can read the details on a reduced size print.
    Am I right?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BeKirra View Post
    Thanks for everyone's comments.
    now I think that any national standards would not be helpful for this case.
    Basically the drawing scale on a reduced size print is not matched with any standard scales and no one can tell the true drawing scale on the reduced size print.

Not us, but our client(s).

This is my concern.
    I think this is horrible splitting one drawing to two small sheets when it was possible fitting in a single A0 or A1 sheet.

Again, by using reduced size the CAD drawing scale is meaningless.
    We normally set the drawing to a standard scale (ie. 1:50, 1:100, 1:200 ...).
    Now everyone can start a drawing with a scale of 1:37.5, 1:85, 1:136, 1:578 or simply whatever they want because of trying to fit models in one small sheet.
    The CAD drawing setup then would make no sense at all.
    Furthermore, the details drawn would be just wasting the drafters' time because no one can read the details on a reduced size print.
    Am I right?
    I think it's pretty straight forward,

Most clients/customers are expecting/requiring a certain size "deliverable" sheet size based on a contract, and that is what you set your sheet(s) up for.
    If someone else, even a client of your client wants to print on a silly size because it fits on thier desk, that really shouldn't be your problem.

It depends on what your contract says, and what are the design deliverables.

As I mentioned before, we have many projects where the required deliverable sheet size is ANSI D, with a plotted text height of 1/8" (.125") based on thier standards.
    And they want full size printed drawings and half-size printed drawings (Tabloid 11"x17"), so it is expected that the text will be smaller and not expected to be scaled off of.

So with that said, if your client/customer requires a small sheet size as thier final deliverable, you simply start with that and set up your scales and text for that.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

3/32" in layout space is the smallest text size which may clearly be read when plotted to half-size. This is one of the standard layout space text sizes in the US, especially in the world of Arch as well as recommended in the current National CAD Standards. For many clients across the US, 3/32" is the typical full size plot. When plotting 1/2 scale the font ends up as 3/64" and is as small as the average person may clearly read.

Why plot 1/2 size? There are a few clients who request 1/2 size plots for review meetings. The sets in meetings are projects up on the wall for open discussion and some like tha half siez to take notes. 1/2 size plots take up a lot less desk space, show the info clearly, and are much easier to carry from meeting to meeting and office to office. Side note - this practice is being being phased out as they transiton to DWF which are projected, marked up and emailed around.

Unless set annotatively, the size the font is in model space will depend on the prospective viewports scale.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

... and, most work trailers on site don't have a full-size plotter, only an 11x17.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    ... and, most work trailers on site don't have a full-size plotter, only an 11x17.
    as well, not many cad people still have room in their cubes to layout a couple of e-size sheets to read.
    AnsiB is a nice format to work with in the limited space I've got available to me.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    as well, not many cad people still have room in their cubes to layout a couple of e-size sheets to read.
    AnsiB is a nice format to work with in the limited space I've got available to me.
    So use an ANSI-B border!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    So use an ANSI-B border!
    I do, whenever possible. text height = 0.08" (or 2.032 mm for those stuck with that system)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    So use an ANSI-B border!
    You would need to set up two different sheets if the deliverable size is Arch D (24x36) and your check sets use a ANSI B (11x17). it is not a true 1/2 but you can catch 95% of required corrections during a hard copy review.

If you are traveling to a Client office to for a progress review on a dozen projects and they want hard copies for individual markups, publishing to ANSI B saves paper, makes it easier to carry, and is a lot cheaper! Your final deliverable for each milestone is (per contract) a set of full size sheets. Trying to keep up the two different sizes takes time... may not be much but when you calculate the amount across a tens of thousands of sheets per year... it adds up.

The proportional relationships are different between the sizes so the spacial relationships allow for differing sheet configurations, too.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin.Sturmer View Post
    You would need to set up two different sheets if the deliverable size is Arch D (24x36) and your check sets use a ANSI B (11x17). it is not a true 1/2 but you can catch 95% of required corrections during a hard copy review.

If you are traveling to a Client office to for a progress review on a dozen projects and they want hard copies for individual markups, publishing to ANSI B saves paper, makes it easier to carry, and is a lot cheaper! Your final deliverable for each milestone is (per contract) a set of full size sheets. Trying to keep up the two different sizes takes time... may not be much but when you calculate the amount across a tens of thousands of sheets per year... it adds up.

The proportional relationships are different between the sizes so the spacial relationships allow for differing sheet configurations, too.
    No!
    The only thing that matters is your contracted deliverables - the formal, legal (if relevant) drawing.
    The rest is just a matter of convenience and if the text isn't legible then it isn't very convenient.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast