Thread: Autodesk Users

Wish List Administration
    Login to Give a bone

Default Autodesk Users

Summary: That Autodesk cares about it's Users.

Description: Autodesk needs to develop user-friendly pricing for AutoCAD Architecture - a product they marketed to Architects many years before their involvement with Revit. Autodesk has moved on to market Revit as the best software (rightfully so), but have left the Architects that still use AutoCAD Architecture with a minimally improved and marginally supported product. AutoCAD Architecture is being phased out, but there are still plenty of Architects that want to continue to use it, but Autodesk has priced it so that most younger Architects will switch to Revit, but leaves the older loyal AutoCAD Architecture users that have just a few years left in the profession no other choice than to pay nearly the same price as Revit for a product they barely maintain or to continue to use a earlier version.

Many Architect's had to cut expenses during the recession. The AutoCAD Architecture subscription was a victim of the need to survive for many of us. Now, to catch up, AutoCAD Architecture with a one-year subscription costs about $4,000.

My wish is that Autodesk would understand the class of users that they created and price their product so that we can retire (die) using the latest version of AutoCAD Architecture.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Architecture - Callouts

Submitted By: Gregory Robson on 10/24/2013

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk Users

I agree that AutoDesk seems to have abandoned users of AutoCAD Architecture in terms of product advancement, user education and support.

I disagree that Revit should be classified as an improvement.

The truth is that everything that Revit can do, AA can do also. Including Building Information Modeling.

Some things are easier in Revit, some easier in AA.

Revit has grown in popularity because it allows the architecturally minded to understand the software better than they did AA - and that is undoubtedly a positive thing - but it certainly lags behind AA in flexibility, efficiency of construction documentation creation, and speed of customization, at least in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

And I know whereof I speak. Not just a practicing professional, I'm also the head of the Drafting Department at a University that leads our state in curriculum for both Revit and AutoCAD Architecture.

Both have advantages. Both need to be taught. And both should continue to be developed and supported.

Login to Give a bone

While I agree that Development, Support and Training has fallen off for AutoDesk Architecture, I disagree that Revit is "the best software". AA does everything Revit does, including Building Information Modeling. Revit's popularity, IMHO only exists for two reasons: 1. for Architects it's more intuitive, and 2. it brings more dough for AutoDesk.

Different tools for different needs; each has certain advantages over the other; and each deserves quality support and attention.

Excellent Wish List Item

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

"Autocad (architecture)'s strength is it's flexibility. Autocad's (architecture)'s weakness is it's flexibility" Quote I picked up from one of the grand masters of the past. It's very true.
    Revit being a new program and not having too old a legacy did not have to cater to old archaic practices and was able to be a little fresher.
    As an example, using colours to dictate pen thickness is silly with a QYSIWYG interface. CTBvSTB is a huge minefield in itself!
    I will enjoy ACA for some time to come. I sat with an ArchiCAD user and was excited to compare an older ADT2005 with his program. I liked how he could create levels in the same file (and went on to create a system using lisp to do that) but my roof tool and creation of objects was way ahead. Unfortunately with ACA2015, I am not much further along but there are new bugs!

Wish List Administration
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Autodesk Users

Autodesk Users

Summary: That Autodesk cares about it's Users.

Description: Autodesk needs to develop user-friendly pricing for AutoCAD Architecture - a product they marketed to Architects many years before their involvement with Revit. Autodesk has moved on to market Revit as the best software (rightfully so), but have left the Architects that still use AutoCAD Architecture with a minimally improved and marginally supported product. AutoCAD Architecture is being phased out, but there are still plenty of Architects that want to continue to use it, but Autodesk has priced it so that most younger Architects will switch to Revit, but leaves the older loyal AutoCAD Architecture users that have just a few years left in the profession no other choice than to pay nearly the same price as Revit for a product they barely maintain or to continue to use a earlier version.

Many Architect's had to cut expenses during the recession. The AutoCAD Architecture subscription was a victim of the need to survive for many of us. Now, to catch up, AutoCAD Architecture with a one-year subscription costs about $4,000.

My wish is that Autodesk would understand the class of users that they created and price their product so that we can retire (die) using the latest version of AutoCAD Architecture.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Architecture - Callouts

Submitted By: greg.robson on 10/24/2013

Login to Give a bone

I echo the sentiment of all here. Revit has certain strengths and speaks to some particular needs in the design world. It is not superior to ACA is all ways and is in my opinion inferior is the specific aspect of the lack of flexibility in both customization and user interface. One phrase that springs to my mind is 'working plane'. this one 'feature' in Revit causes me more frustration that any other. I, like many of you, know many Architecture and Engineering firms who are steadfast users of ACA and will continue to be so as long as it exists. It has as much BIM capability as Revit, plus the open interface for customization and a much cleaner performance impact. Even a huge Civil 3D design of several miles of roadway will out perform the average Revit model.
    As to the pricing structure, AutoDesk does need to review this and be realistic about it. If they are cutting back the development and support on ACA and it's other flavor vertical products, then the justification for the price structure should be prorated accordingly.