Thread: Floating Paperspace

Wish List Administration

Default Floating Paperspace

Summary: Modelspace on 1 monitor and paperspace of the same drawing on another monitor

Description: Most designers/engineers work with 2 monitors. They all work in both in Modelspace and in Paperspace. You need to switch a lot etween those tow environments.

It would be the ultimate help if it was possible to work on 1 monitor in Modelspace and see Paperspace on the other mnitor and were able to switch just by moving the mouse to the other monitor.

Other concurrent programs have similar functionality.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - User Interface

Submitted By: Remondo Mak on 10/24/2013

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Default Re: Floating Paperspace

I like that idea! As long as we're at it full access to multiple monitors would be even better. Separate drawings or layouts on each monitor as well. Option to open xref in other window. Maybe an option to drag a layout or drawing to the other window.

AUGI Addict

I think that requires clarification. I can easily open multiple drawings and put them on multiple monitors. I think what is being asked for is multiple WINDOWS for the same drawing file, with separate or related views on each. Due to hardware limitations, I don't think we'll be getting fully floating windows which can exist outside the application window, which will still need to be stretched across all montitors.

I like the idea! If AutoCAD can operate with the text screen on another monitor, why can't the Model Space tab be on another monitor? I can understand the difficulty in putting a Paper Space tab on another monitor as we can create any number of them (depending on system limitations), but there is only ONE Model Space.

Round Rock, TX, USA, Earth, Sol Galaxy, Universe

Model space and Paper space are essentially the same thing, so if they can do one, they can do them all.
    Back to OP, I find myself only working in one space or the other in any given file, so I don't find this a useful addition. I can see the potential for it, but one should only be working in modelspace from a base file and paperspace from a sheet file, for the most efficiency.

Think I have asked for similar thing in the following thread
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...tional-Feature

And this thread also asking for similar thing
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...90#post1304090

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Floating Paperspace

Floating Paperspace

Summary: Modelspace on 1 monitor and paperspace of the same drawing on another monitor

Description: Most designers/engineers work with 2 monitors. They all work in both in Modelspace and in Paperspace. You need to switch a lot etween those tow environments.

It would be the ultimate help if it was possible to work on 1 monitor in Modelspace and see Paperspace on the other mnitor and were able to switch just by moving the mouse to the other monitor.

Other concurrent programs have similar functionality.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - User Interface

Submitted By: remondo.mak214255 on 10/24/2013

IIRC - this was presented to Rob Maguire, AutoCAD Product Line Director, at the AUGI meeting this year.

I can't recall the exact reply to this, but it was to the tune of "it will be pretty difficult".

Who knows? We'll see. Maybe.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

All AUGI, all the time

You could always just stretch your AutoCAD window across the two screens and have two viewports in paper space, one on each screen. One that's locked for the sheet in paper space and one that's not locked so you can click inside and scroll, pan, zoom, do whatever you want, just like "model space". Wouldn't that work just as well? We use the base file/sheet file method anyway so it's a moot point for us.