Thread: Laptop for Civil 3D

Login to Give a bone

Default Laptop for Civil 3D

I am looking for some suggestions for a laptop capable of running software. I would like to use laptop for running Civil 3D 2013 when not in office (at home or in field). Also I would like to know of any license problems from Autodesk with putting software on laptop (after all - I would use it on laptop or in office, can't use both at same time). I would appreciate any input and suggestions for a laptop, and any problems anyone has had (i.e not happy, slow running, resolution, etc). Of course cost is a consideration, but laptop must be able to run software efficiently. THANK YOU for any input and suggestions.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Laptop for Civil 3D

I am currently running Civil 3D on a Dell M6700 with 32 Gig of RAM with no problems.

Login to Give a bone

Mark - Thank you for your response and comments, I truly appreciate it STEVE

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I regularly use Civil 3D on my 64-bit laptop - I have an HP Pavilion dv7 and when I first installed it, I did have problems with the speed of opening up the programme and when needing to regen/rebuild etc.

I therefore removed the old hard drive and replaced this with a 256mB SSD which made everything so much faster in terms of starting the programme and opening models. I also upgraded the ram from 4mB to 8mB and whilst I still have a minor delay when regenning, this is acceptable to me given that the overall cost of the original machine was only £600 and I have since spent £200 on the replacement parts.

Regards

Simon
    In summary therefore, I don't see any problems running it on a laptop as long as you get one with an SSD and with a min of 8mb RAM.

Login to Give a bone

Look at XI Computers, I believe they have just released some Haswell powered laptops. The problem I keep experiencing with Dell is conflicts between the Intel graphics, amd the NVidia card that gets added. Dell never seems to get that resolved. Dunno if XI actually has, but they do tend to give a hoot in hades about their end users.

disclaimer -- no financial interest, just a customer who has been very satisfied with their desktops and support over the past 7 years.

Login to Give a bone

cadtag Sorry to take so long to get back, was out in field all day yesterday (wish I had a lap top). I appreciate your input and comments, both good and bad. I will look into you suggestions and see what is offered. THANKS again!

Login to Give a bone

Simon - Thank you for your input, with good and bad comments. Sorry I did not get back to you yesterday, I was in field all day without my lap top. I have used a lot of different HP products, so I will look into what they offer. Again, THANK you!

Login to Give a bone

As far as your question about installation, you're allowed to install AutoCAD products on a second machine using the same credentials as long as you don't use them both at the same time. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...0617#section11

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 278 consulting ltd View Post
    I regularly use Civil 3D on my 64-bit laptop - I have an HP Pavilion dv7 and when I first installed it, I did have problems with the speed of opening up the programme and when needing to regen/rebuild etc.

I therefore removed the old hard drive and replaced this with a 256mB SSD which made everything so much faster in terms of starting the programme and opening models. I also upgraded the ram from 4mB to 8mB and whilst I still have a minor delay when regenning, this is acceptable to me given that the overall cost of the original machine was only £600 and I have since spent £200 on the replacement parts.

Regards

Simon
    In summary therefore, I don't see any problems running it on a laptop as long as you get one with an SSD and with a min of 8mb RAM.
    Simon, I think you meant to put 256GB, 4GB, and 8GB instead of mB. Unless (assuming you're in Great Britain) you guys don't use "gigabytes".