Thread: Network License & Past Version Support

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Network License & Past Version Support

How many versions of Revit are people supporting, and how are you handling the Autodesk limitation on the number of versions that the network license will support?

At first blush, it appears that Autodesk only authorizes use of the current version, plus three back (4 total). With several large projects stuck in CA in version 2012, that policy was going to keep us from rolling out 2016 (even though we never rolled out 2013). Our reseller said that all you have to do is ask for the network license to support the earlier versions. Sure enough, when we asked for our new license file (49 network seats), the Autodesk licensing folks hooked us up with a network license file that supports versions 2012 through 2016.

Now, Autodesk is saying that the license file that they gave us is a problem, and we're in violation of the license agreement, and we have to dedicate some of our network seats to 2012 only, in order to support it (thereby reducing the number of seats available for 2014,15, and 16). Everything was fine until we made the mistake of letting the Reseller/ Autodesk help us analyze our license utilization (WTF was I thinking that day), in an effort to figure out if we should buy more permanent network seats before they stop selling them. They ran a report, and all we've heard since "you have to fix your license file". SAM Engagement=SCAM Engagement.

I'd really love to here what others are experiencing.

Thanks in advance!

EB

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Network License & Past Version Support

The more think about mandating upgrades, the more I like it. Maybe at the end of DD, since the files get pretty messy during CDs, and tend to throw more errors on upgrade.

In the mean time, I've found that the JTB FlexReport LT, combined with an Excel spreadsheet are a perfectly fine way to track network license utilization.

To clarify the Autodesk exception that allows extending the network license coverage back beyond the current-plus-three rule: As I understand it, you must have owned the the version in question at one time, so if you only bought Revit in 2013, and never owned a 2012 version, you're out of luck.