Thread: Have you ever lost a section view callout on a plan view?

Login to Give a bone

Default Have you ever lost a section view callout on a plan view?

One of the most annoying things about REVIT is how a section view, callout, head and tail will disappear or move from view to view. The actual view scope box doesn’t move but the location of the callout, head and tail will not be in the same place, area or completely off the view from view to view.

Sometimes the callout is just off by a few "feet". Sometimes it's completely gone, and when you lose the callout and you can’t find the view to move it. So, how do you find it?!!
    Currently, I have a first floor working view where I can see the section view head and tail and view box. But, when I move to my under slab working view the section is gone.

Yes, the view scale on both views are the same.
    Yes, the section view box goes from well below the view range of both views
    If I highlight the section view on the first floor view, hold my Ctrl key and cycle to the below slab view, I cannot see the section view head or tail
    The missing section view does not show up on in Reveal Hidden

So I am lost. How do I find that section view?!

Also, to the REVIT folks
    1. Why does the section callout move from view to view?
    2. Why isn’t a section view box locked between the callout head and tail? (yes, I understand it needs to be movable but not outside the head or tail!)

Thank you,

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Have you ever lost a section view callout on a plan view?

I've never seen this in 5 years of using Revit. Check your V/G settings, make sure other users (if a workshared project) aren't messing with your section.

Personally, I like the ability to stretch the view box beyond the bounds of the callout - we mostly use sections for working and coordination, so it eliminates the need to draw extra sections.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Sections are not bound to the View that they were created in - if you draw a section in a View, it will be visible (barring any V/G or other overrides that might hide it) in all View that share the same Discipline, even in other Section Views. The Section is not moving, you are just seeing the same Section from different Views, and the same Bounding Box.

That being said, I don't know why your Views are disappearing. Can you intentionally reproduce this issue?

Login to Give a bone

This happened once to one of our users. Nothing we tried could get the section back in that particular view, we ended up having to draw a new section that referenced the previously created section. I wasn't watching the user when it happened, so I don't know what they could have done to make it disappear like that, may have just been a glitch.

Login to Give a bone

Is there a filter that may be turning off the section in that view? I think if a filter is hiding an element it won't show up even when you choose the "Reveal Hidden Elements" toggle. If that isn't the case could you try re-creating the view (plan view, not section) and seeing if it behaves the same? If not then maybe that view got corrupted somehow.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The section view discipline has to match the discipline of the view that it is in (or coordination is globally on).
    Meaning If I have a plan view with a discipline Mechanical, but I change the section view discipline to Architectural than the section will not show on the plan view.
    See what view template new sections views are using. That is if you are using the feature Apply automatically to new views of the same type-->in apply view template. If you can find the template than change the parameter discipline to coordination.

If your talking about the far clip offset associated with the actual geometry of the section line, head and tail than you're out of luck. nobody knows that solution.
    I have some sections where I drag the head or tail and the far clip offset follows and visa verse, and in the same project with the same section type they move independently. I cannot find the difference between the two.