Thread: AUGI HotNews Article Continuation - Industry Spotlight: Career Building Conferences

Login to Give a bone

Talking AUGI HotNews Article Continuation - Industry Spotlight: Career Building Conferences

Everyone…let’s hope this becomes a trend, because there are so many times I read an article and am left with wanting to either know more, talk with the author, or get ideas/advice/input from others on the same topic. The article is from AUGI HotNews titled Career Building Conferences, and I talked about the great benefits one receives from such events.
    I was hoping everyone here would chime in about not only adding to the list, but offering up different conferences they know about. Of course there is Autodesk University, and Revit Technology Conference, but what others have you attended and what did you think about them? Maybe conferences specifically on BIM, or FM, or even graphics events may apply to this group.

Here is the link:
    https://www.augi.com/library/industr...ng-conferences

I am very interested in how this goes, and hopefully with enough responses I can do my best to make this a normal thing offering a continuation of online articles from writers all over the world. Thanks ahead of time for anyone that helps add to the list and continues the conversation online!

Thank you for your time, everyone here greatly appreciates it!!!

Round Rock, TX, USA, Earth, Sol Galaxy, Universe
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AUGI HotNews Article Continuation - Industry Spotlight: Career Building Conferences

There is also the CAD Americas Training Days, which are the rebranded CAD Camps. I have only had the opportunity to attend twice so far, and would have had a third, but the one I scheduled for was postponed until after the new year.

But, they were always a lot of fun, and it was great getting out and meeting the people, learning new things and seeing how other people have solved problems or used the software in unique ways.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AUGI HotNews Article Continuation - Industry Spotlight: Career Building Conferences

Quote Originally Posted by CADBIMManager View Post
    Everyone…let’s hope this becomes a trend, because there are so many times I read an article and am left with wanting to either know more, talk with the author, or get ideas/advice/input from others on the same topic. The article is from AUGI HotNews titled Career Building Conferences, and I talked about the great benefits one receives from such events.
    I was hoping everyone here would chime in about not only adding to the list, but offering up different conferences they know about. Of course there is Autodesk University, and Revit Technology Conference, but what others have you attended and what did you think about them? Maybe conferences specifically on BIM, or FM, or even graphics events may apply to this group.

Here is the link:
    https://www.augi.com/library/industr...ng-conferences

I am very interested in how this goes, and hopefully with enough responses I can do my best to make this a normal thing offering a continuation of online articles from writers all over the world. Thanks ahead of time for anyone that helps add to the list and continues the conversation online!

Thank you for your time, everyone here greatly appreciates it!!!
    I haven't gotten to attend an RTC yet, but, obviously, huge fan of AU.
    Locally, we've got an AEC leadership forum that meets quarterly and a Revit User Group that alternates networking events with educational events. Both of those are really more User Groups than conferences, but, there are still the same benefits, only without the time and travel.

There's also been a regional BIM Expo held in St. Louis for the past three years that I am a HUGE fan of, organized by the AGC. They've had good topics, even for folks on the owner's side.

I also attend a 1 day SQL conference (SQL Saturday), of which there are many held around the country (possibly the world). I encourage anyone in our line of work to become familiar with databases, there's so much you can do, either standalone, or tying in with Revit.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Professional Member
    Login to Give a bone

Great article. Thanks for heads up on SQL Saturday - one coming locally here in February.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by walt.sparling View Post
    Great article. Thanks for heads up on SQL Saturday - one coming locally here in February.
    I'm a big fan of the SQL user groups and the SQL Saturday Conferences. Great folks, just like here at AUGI. The classes are wonderful. And, I think it's free, unless you want to buy lunch (which you probably will, just to stay around and have networking time with the people around you).
    I actually volunteered as a room moderator at the most recent one here in St. Louis and saw some classes I normally wouldn't have gone to. A lot of potential for good data management and analysis there. I took a class at the 2012 BIM Expo on using SQL to analyze data in Revit. But, as I'm no longer a Revit user, I'm starting to use it for querying data in Archibus (archibus can have a backend of db2, oracle or sql, we're using sql here.).

If you're on Twitter, follow the SQL hastags like #SQLsat and #SQLhelp. These hashtags are also usable on Google+ and make it easy to follow and connect with database gurus there. LOTS of information sharing going on in that community.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost