Thread: Multiple phase packages from one model/ Sheet naming

Login to Give a bone

Default Multiple phase packages from one model/ Sheet naming

So we are working on a project that will have a demo package and then a build-out package(c.d.'s). I am getting the sheets set-up for the demo package and was naming my General sheets "GD-x.x" for general demolition. The intent is that when we get to c.d.'s the generals for that will just be a plan "G-x.x". The project manager is like "No we need to have those in the Demo package labeled "G-x.x". So just resave the model named "Blah, blah-Demo" and then we can start the C.D.'s with the Demo model and just make the adjustments for the new phase."

Something just seems really wrong with all this. Is there a way to have two different sheet sets utilizing the same naming convention? Is this one of those "Revit isn't CAD and your stubborn boss needs to adjust and get over the "GD" vs "G" thing.

Anyone that can offer advice would be appreciated. I'm not looking to dig my heels in and make a stand, I want to know a "Best Practices" solution.

P.S.- The other person working on the model has already started to work in the model on the construction phase.
    Last edited by thomas.denney836893; 2013-12-04 at 04:00 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiple phase packages from one model/ Sheet naming

I'm not sure I am following....you can have different sheet numbers...unless your trying to duplicate the views on one sheet to another sheet?

If you are talking about both sheets showing up on a sheet index, I use an extra parameter such as Volume 1 or Volume 2 and filter a sheet index by those first. That way I can pick and choose which sheets I want to go with each volume.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Sorry if I wasn't clear...

-We have a demo package going out. General sheets are "GD-x.x", Architectural sheets are "AD- x.x", etc.

-We then will be having a construction set going out later, probably to a different contractor, with the general sheets labeled "G-x.x"

-The project architect here in the office wants the Demo package to go out with the "G" sheets labeled as "G-x.x" and when I said we can't have two "G-x.x" in the same model with different titleblocks and views he said "Lets just save the Demo model and start a second model for the Construction then."

I am not comfortable enough yet as the lead Revit person in the office taking the responsibility for this call not knowing what the ramifications of this could be...good vs. bad of creating a second model for a different phase. I feel like we should just keep it as one and utilize phasing in the model and the P.A. just needs to get comfortable with using "GD-x.x" for the Demo set.

Login to Give a bone

Why not use a different numbering scheme?
    You could have G-001, 002, 003 as demo sheets, then G-101, 102,103.... for CD sheets.
    When you say general sheet, are you talking about general notes, abbreviations, legends and such? If so, those should be your A0.0. I've never used a "G" label yet. I've seen it used for sheet lists, but that's it. My general notes are going to be specific to Structural, yours would be to the Arch. If you need to have separate "General" Sheets for demo vs CD's, I just make them different numbers. G0.1 for demo, G1.1 for CD's. Maybe I'm missing something here, but it doesn't like a difficult thing. But the last thing I would want to do is have 2 models for the same project with out some really good reasons and double the fee.

Better yet, get a copy of the sheet numbering/lettering scheme from NCS and give it to your boss.

Frankly I think your boss is being a little pig headed or your both not thinking out of the box.
    As it's been said in my neck of the woods, "There's more than one way to skin a cat"
    ~note to PETA, I would never skin a cat~
    At the end of the day your boss is going to get what he wants, or he'll find someone that will get him what he wants. Your job is to sell him what you want, that fits with what he wants.
    I go thru this on every project when it comes to the stupid "We must have a Rev 0 on the sheet when it's first issued" I explain how much of a pain it is to do it, and the short falls of it, but none the less, we end up with a rev 0 and a lot more work. Then when they say, well we need to keep rev a, b, and c.... I tell them sorry, I told you before we started the project, the tool you told me to use to create the documentation doesn't work that way. Nuff said.

Just my thoughts.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have a way to have "duplicate" Sheet Numbers: Open your Character Map ([Windows] Start Menu > Run "charmap"), scroll down towards the bottom on the Arial Font, and find "Zero Width Space". Copy and paste it before the Sheet Number and it will be recognized as a different Sheet Number, though it will appear identical. (See attached image.) Note that not all Fonts may support this.

Note that this will come with some cumbersome results, such as when printing "Selected Sheets" - the order cannot be altered and it will be a PITA to select every other sheet (if not using Print Sets). Also, make sure you include sorting methods in your Project Browser, or just have it outright hide the Demo Set (via Filters) once that one has gone out.

EDIT:
    If you paste the Zero Width Space AFTER the letter designation, it will be in proper order! (confirmation image attached)
    revision.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CADastrophe; 2013-12-04 at 08:03 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Why not use a different numbering scheme?
    You could have G-001, 002, 003 as demo sheets, then G-101, 102,103.... for CD sheets.
    When you say general sheet, are you talking about general notes, abbreviations, legends and such? If so, those should be your A0.0. I've never used a "G" label yet. I've seen it used for sheet lists, but that's it. My general notes are going to be specific to Structural, yours would be to the Arch. If you need to have separate "General" Sheets for demo vs CD's, I just make them different numbers. G0.1 for demo, G1.1 for CD's. Maybe I'm missing something here, but it doesn't like a difficult thing. But the last thing I would want to do is have 2 models for the same project with out some really good reasons and double the fee.

Better yet, get a copy of the sheet numbering/lettering scheme from NCS and give it to your boss.

Frankly I think your boss is being a little pig headed or your both not thinking out of the box.
    As it's been said in my neck of the woods, "There's more than one way to skin a cat"
    ~note to PETA, I would never skin a cat~
    At the end of the day your boss is going to get what he wants, or he'll find someone that will get him what he wants. Your job is to sell him what you want, that fits with what he wants.
    I go thru this on every project when it comes to the stupid "We must have a Rev 0 on the sheet when it's first issued" I explain how much of a pain it is to do it, and the short falls of it, but none the less, we end up with a rev 0 and a lot more work. Then when they say, well we need to keep rev a, b, and c.... I tell them sorry, I told you before we started the project, the tool you told me to use to create the documentation doesn't work that way. Nuff said.

Just my thoughts.
    I like this one!