See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Braced frame view tag issues

Login to Give a bone

Default Braced frame view tag issues

Does anyone know of a way to have the grid line reference be apart of the view tag? I know I could write "BR-10 ALONG GRIDLINE 2" in the title on sheet field. However I would like to add the Associated Datum field to the view tag so when the Gridline updates, grid gets updated in the tag as well. I see revit keeps track of the gridline with a parameter called Associated Datum, but I do not see this as a parameter that I can add while updating the view reference tag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Braced frame view tag issues

Apparently this can't be done with a shared parameter either. I do not see tags or views on the list of family categories that allow shared perimeters. I guess This should be moved to the wish list threads.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Not trying to be facesitious, but shouldnt this be obvious in the plan where you put a section mark leading to the view?
    Ie BR10 is on grid 2, between grids F & G...I suppose you may have several BR10 in which case just name them differently because then assumedly they wont be "identical"...but you can note "BR11 to BR24 similar" (etc)

Login to Give a bone

The problem that comes up is when you look at 15 sheets of braced frame elevations and they all look just about the same. Personally I never double up on braced frame elevations. One per frame for one simple reason. They all start the same, but they don't all end up the same. The other issue is when you have a large break between them. So may have a BR-10 along line E between grids 3 and 4. You can have the same thing between grids 8 & 9.
    I do have to agree with you that a fabricator, contractor and worker should all be able to read the plan and see the tag and find the elevation on a sheet. But that doesn't seem to happen that often anymore. Just think about the national CAD standard. On of the big items was how to locate details on a sheet based of a grid system. My thought was always if you can't find detail 19 on sheet S-301, you shouldn't be working on the project. And god forbid you have to actually turn the whole sheet to the binding to find it. I'm really not a big fan of this reverse numbering stuff starting in the bottom right.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

The only way I could see this getting output is to create a schedule, base it on "mark" and "comments" and in the comments box you would have to fill out the grid reference yourself ie in comments parameter you put "GRIDS F-G" (or however you want to see it read) and place a schedule on the sheet with either all filtered for that particular sheet (ie if your sheet had BR10 to BR24 elevated, filter those particular bracing frames into a single schedule including the comment) and that way at least you have a table locating them on plan or schedule them individually and place it beneath or next to each frame seperately.

Login to Give a bone

I think I will stick to placing dumb text next to the tag and continue to hope that the team remembers to move the dumb text with the tag. This wasn't so much an issue with the 2 firms I worked with prior to this since they say something like "BR-10 ALONG GRID LINE 2" in the title on sheet line. Yes dumb text but at least it was part of the title.

Just seem like a NO-Brainer that if Revit has gone as far as setting up a parameter for Associated Datum that we should be able to utilize that info better.

Maybe this item/thread should be moved to the wish list area.

Login to Give a bone

I think in theory you should be able to add a label to the tag so at least if the tag moves the text goes with it.
    Just a thought. I haven't played around with them that much, but.....it's a thought.
    I know the old section cuts used to have an option for sim or typ.
    You may need to create a new type for each tag you place, but one would thing you should be able to get something like that to work.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Braced frame view tag issues

Because this is a View Title the only element I can add are in my screen capture. Also notice the add parameter icon is greyed out.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Ok lets create you a new tag, I can see one already that will work for you, you will need to play around with the alignment etc and the text sizes/styles what not, but welcome to the family editor (be ready to pull your hair out)

Create a new family, go to the annotation library (it should open up at the main library automatically assuming revit has been installed normally.)
    Under annotation library you should find one called something along the lines of "generic multi-category" select this one and it will open up with just a vertical and horizontal ref plane.
    Create a new label, and here you can choose from a list that is a bit more reasonable than the one you have there.
    Save your new tag under a local (or company) annotation folder and I have a seperate folder for tags.
    Call it "Brace_withGrid" or something understandable for you.
    You can decide which suits best, but just the "comments" category should work for you, make it a large text say 0.5mm or so and bold.
    Now in your brace properties dialog box, under comments write in your grid reference as you want to see it on page.
    For example write " - Grids G to F"
    You can put 2 labels, say one for "Mark" and one for "Comments"

Mark will then output correctly based on the type mark.
    You should then see
    "BR10 - Grids G to F"

Ok it's not automatic, but I think its as close as you're going to be able to automate.
    Hope this sequence makes sense.

Then you are actually tagging the element, in view (and not the view itself)
    You can still tag with the usual tags to get your individual element sizes, tag with this one, drag it down to the bottom of the view and that way it will read like a title and just set your view title to none or you can still tag that as you please