See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit on the cloud?

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit on the cloud?

Have you ever looked at a product called Panzura or any other cloud based solution? We’re looking at possible alternatives to using Revit Server for working across different offices (Washington State and China) and this looks like it could solve more than our Revit issues. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this area or have heard of any of their competitors.

http://panzura.com/solutions/aec-solution/

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit on the cloud?

Although I have not tried out this product, I have some suggestions for you to consider for assessing this product.

There are two ways to handle remote access: bring the user to the data, or bring the data to the user.
    Autodesk Revit in the Cloud (beta), VMWARE and Citrix bring the user to the program and data (Virtual Desk Interface (VDI)).

The other option is to bring the data to the user: Projectwise and Revit Server are basically cache servers.

In either case, it is the bandwidth and reliability that will determine each option's effectiveness.
    I found VDI solutions can be complicated if you have highly customized environments (templates, plugins, customized programming, etc.)
    VDI can be especially fun if you have multiple firms with different environment requirements. Licensing can get especially tricky.

Cache servers create clear delineations between support and connecting offices. However, the performance may not be as fast as a VDI solution. On the other hand, Revit Server can have a lower overall cost to the participating firms.

Login to Give a bone

I'll chime in to say we've used Citrix on a project before. They overbill on under perform. Bad experience. Very little customer support (which they bill you for). Our partner firm tried to bill them for the time it took for our partner firm to solve the issues with Citrix software.
    On another note I've heard better things about Panzura.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We replaced our Windows RDP system with Citrix. In spite of our testing and metrics, studios are not wholly satisfied with the performance. We used a consultant to configure our system, but the outcome has produced mixed reviews. Many of our local users prefer RD Gateway as a remote solutions (i.e. from home they log onto their computer in the office).

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by TTSchiller View Post
    Have you ever looked at a product called Panzura or any other cloud based solution? http://panzura.com/solutions/aec-solution/
    I didn't realize it, but our IT department already tested the Panzura product in hopes to connect East and West Coast office with a Revit project. It turns out that it could not handle the worksharing file between cities. Sounds like this product would work better for AutoCAD, but not Revit worksharable model.

Login to Give a bone

From what I've heard Panzura works for just about every other application but revit. Revit gets unhappy with the long distance between offices. Latency is still an issue for say between WI and Washington State. Works ok for short distance say WI to IL.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the feedback.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi, its Barry Phillips from Panzura. I would be glad to introduce anyone on this thread to a number of customers that are collaborating on Revit, as well as other BIM applications, across distributed and even global sites. Pls send me an email if you are interested in speaking with them: ***. Thanks.

***Email address has been removed by moderator action. It is recommended that contact be made via Private Message. Please review "" which can be found in the "".***
    Last edited by CADastrophe; 2014-04-22 at 01:33 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Barry, We have been talking alot about Panzura since AU last year. I was asuming that it would eliminate our need for getting Revit Server running in all remote offices. Is this something you are working to resolve?

Thanks! Ted-

Login to Give a bone

We have been using Panzura for 16 Months now. We are accessing Revit models with absolutely no problem at all. One current example: Right now we have a project with a 400MB central model being worked on with about 25 people from 3 different offices (Syracuse NY, Cleveland OH, and Orlando FL), and they ALL can open it and sync to central in about 30 seconds. It used to take about 30 Minutes across the WAN with Riverbed optimization in place! Panzura completely fixed those issues for us.

Latency between our offices runs about 80ms between Syracuse, NY and Orlando, FL. which are the two main offices working on this particular project. We see WAN latencies as high as 110ms to our San Diego office, and still no issues for Panzura. We have no need for Revit Server with the Panzura devices in place.

FYI, Eric Wing (who used to be a Revit Columnist for AUGIWorld) works for us, and worked extensively with the folks at Panzura to make sure that Panzura works well with Revit. It also should be noted that Carl Bass sits on the Panzura Advisory Board.

It works for all of our CADD/BIM platforms... Revit, AutoCAD, Microstation. Now that we have it, Our users, Revit and otherwise, never want to go back.

-Eric Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast