Thread: How to make winder stair comply with 2012 International Residential Code

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question How to make winder stair comply with 2012 International Residential Code

We're designing a house where we need to use a u-shaped winder stair with a 10'-0" floor to floor rise and a 3'-6" width. The problem is related to the code requirement that the winders have a minimum tread depth of 6 inches and a minimum depth of 10 inches at the inside walkline located 12 inches from the inside.

When we create a winder in Revit 2014, the stair is created and we can edit the Inside Walk Line Offset to 1'-0". The problem arises when we try to change the Minimum Width on Inside Boundary from 2"+ to 6 inches. We get the following error:

"The relationship between the current values of Actual Run Width, Minimum Width at Inside Boundary, and Parallel Treads at Start or End does not support the creation of the winder run."

I don't see how to make the adjustment to get the stair to the configuration that would meet the code. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Cashman
    Cashman Stahler Group

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to make winder stair comply with 2012 International Residential Code

That sort of error message is very common with winder stairs, particularly if they are single point winders.
    Without knowing more about your stair configuration I'll have to guess at the answer. But, assuming a single-point winder you will have set the number of parallel treads to suit; once you do that it is almost impossible to change the stair in any way unless you reset the parallel treads back to 1 or 2 first.
    Having said that, a U-shaped single-point winder is pretty much impossible in Revit because there is no way to control the number of parallel treads in the middle section. One possibility (I have not tried) would be to split it into two L-shaped winders.

I have written a blog post about winders stairs - have a look to see if it helps:
    http://revitcat.blogspot.com.au/2013...evit-2013.html

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to make winder stair comply with 2012 International Residential Code

How about using stair by sketch? Majority of my work is renovation where I need to model existing stairs that come with all kinds of shapes and sizes. When it comes to winders or any other ‘funny’ shape stair, I always use stair by sketch and rarely have problems. Hope it works for you.

Nice blog post, Tim