Thread: window tags in elevations

Login to Give a bone

Default window tags in elevations

Hi,
    Is it possible to generate elevations with window tags or any other object tags?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: window tags in elevations

Quote Originally Posted by uplius View Post
    Hi,
    Is it possible to generate elevations with window tags or any other object tags?
    If you are talking about a generated 2D Section/Elevation object, the straight answer is no. The routine that generates those sections and elevations ignores text, and the resulting object is just linework; there is no AEC Window there to tag, post-generation.

One possible work-around, if the drawing with the elevation is in the same file as the original model or has the original model externally referenced (which is the case, if I recall correctly - I do not have access to ACA at the moment), would be to tag the Window in the model (or through the external reference) and the move the tag over to the elevation.

You might also experiment with a live section viewed in elevation, where the Window or othe objrct would be there, but getting that to show just right and to be able to do multiple elevations on one drawing could be more effort than it is worth.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for reply. Yes i was talking about 2D section/elevation object. It is really worth it to have tags in elevations. Also it is useful in interior elevations.

Before posting here in AUGI, I tried to tag Windows in the model, but encountered some problems.
    1. How to get correct tag in front view. Should i use multiview block tags?
    2. How to stick tags to the Window in model. Because when i tag one-by-one, they stick to the right place of the window, but if i tag multiple objects - all tags stick to Z=0. Yes, i could click one-by-one, but I've got somewhere about 1000 windows and doors in elevations - I could easily miss some of them.

Login to Give a bone

I do what David suggested as his first suggestion. I orient the view drawing with my elevations in an isometric view and tag the windows placing them on my elevations. It works pretty well, but it is a little tedious and I'm not sure it would be worth it for a really large project.

As far as tagging in a live section, I'm not sure why you're having problems with tagging multiple items. I do that regularly for tagging timbers (mass elements) and it works well. You do need to make sure your ucs z value is set to where you want the tags to be placed.

John

Login to Give a bone

Yes, i can tag windows one-by-one in isometric view. But, as it was mentioned, it is impossible to use these tags for generating section. I think its a drawback for ACA.

My quick walk-around:
    separate dwg for tags.
    explode window blocks.
    select all tag.
    make block of all tags - "elevation tags block".
    copy elevation tags block to original dwg with generated sections.