See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Constraining a sketch (blue)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Constraining a sketch (blue)

There are a few ways to accomplish this:
    1. It can be moved with the "Free Move" tool (or Free Rotate). These are on the Position panel. As the names say, these will not allow you to reposition a part/sub-assembly, as it is a temporary action, and the moved/rotated items will eventually snap back to their pre-operation locations, provided they were completely constrained or grounded.
    2. If the part/sub-assembly is not "Grounded", modify the "Offset" value in the constraint dialog that locates the item in the direction you want to move. This option may not give you the result you want, if other items are constrained to the item you want to move.
    3. If the item is "Grounded", then un-Ground it and move it where you want. This option also, may not give you the result you want, if other items are constrained to the item you want to move.
    4. If you don't need to see it, "Suppress" it, or change its "Visibility"

The last 3 options can be tied into LOD's, View Reps and Pos Reps if needed.

HTH
    Last edited by Bunny; 2014-01-20 at 04:49 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    There are a few ways to accomplish this:
    1. If the part/sub-assembly is not "Grounded", then it can be moved with the "Free Move" tool (or Free Rotate). These are on the Position panel. As the names say, these will not allow you to reposition a part/sub-assembly, as it is a temporary action, and the moved/rotated items will eventually snap back to their pre-operation locations, provided they were completely constrained.
    2. Modify the "Offset" value in the constraint dialog that locates the item in the direction you want to move. This option may not give you the result you want, if other items are constrained to the item you want to move.
    3. If the item is "Grounded", then un-Ground it and move it where you want. This option also, may not give you the result you want, if other items are constrained to the item you want to move.
    4. If you don't need to see it, "Suppress" it, or change its "Visibility"

The last 3 options can be tied into LOD's, View Reps and Pos Reps if needed.

HTH
    Bunny thank you for your reply. Here is the scenario, I received an STEP model from solidworks assembled and I opened it in inventor. It opened as an assembly. I wanted to be able to precisely move elements out of the way and then be able to put it back together. Since the file is not native there are constrains or mates.

Login to Give a bone

A familiar scenario...

I would ground those items you do not need/wish to move (if they did not come in that way), then un-ground, if necessary, and apply the necessary constraints to those you will be moving. What I have gleaned from your previous posts, and without seeing the assembly, I would guess most of those constraints would be Mates, with an offset value defined on those you wish to move.

PM if you would like more specific assistance.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12