Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: revit 2013 to architecture 2013

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default revit 2013 to architecture 2013

My boss is not up on revit and needs to do some work in arch 13. He has stated he can not add a door with design center. Maybe I am not eporting correctly. I surely would of thought that this is possible. Any help would be great. I do not want to start working in Arch 13 since he is not ready to move into Revit himself. I will spare you the soap opera. thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: revit 2013 to architecture 2013

Revit Architecture 2013 can open a Revit 2013 file (rvt or rfa's)....Since you mentioned "Exporting" I take it your boss is using AutoCAD Architecture 2013? If that is the case, it's just a 3D DWG and not ACA enabled.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Yes. He is wanting to edit when he needs to in AutoCAD Arch 2013. I hope that he does not want me to start working in that all the time. I have never used it and do not want to learn something I will not need after he desides it is time to move up or I get a new job. Darnit

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

So there is no way we can get the families editable and able to cut open in walls? No other way to export to something else then back into Acad Arch 13?

Login to Give a bone

Two different programs....once you export its basically good for backgrounds only in ACA...as the walls (and everything else) will be blocks instead of wall styles. Nice thing is they export to the right layers in ACA (I have to do this on a current project since I am the only one using Revit.)

Have your boss go to an elevation in ACA and have him move a door a few inches without opening a new view. Then go to the same elevation in Revit and move the door a few inches.

Our office is predominant ACA, so I have been learning it, so far I really hate it as I can only modify items in the constructs and the sections and elevations are worthless.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    Two different programs....once you export its basically good for backgrounds only in ACA...as the walls (and everything else) will be blocks instead of wall styles. Nice thing is they export to the right layers in ACA (I have to do this on a current project since I am the only one using Revit.)

Have your boss go to an elevation in ACA and have him move a door a few inches without opening a new view. Then go to the same elevation in Revit and move the door a few inches.

Our office is predominant ACA, so I have been learning it, so far I really hate it as I can only modify items in the constructs and the sections and elevations are worthless.
    Why would I have him move a door in elevation and I move it in revit as well? I can imagine you hating it. He just said I prob will have to finish my projects in ACA which I am not looking forward too.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by harkeychad View Post
    Why would I have him move a door in elevation and I move it in revit as well? I can imagine you hating it. He just said I prob will have to finish my projects in ACA which I am not looking forward too.
    I'm saying have him move a door in ACA, just any project from a view. It can't be done, it has to be done from the construct. Show him that you can manipulate the model from any view...elevations, sections, etc.. Why redraw something in ACA just because they won't try something else.

But anyway, good luck.
    Michael "MP" Patrick

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    just because they won't try something else.
    Replace "try" in the above statement with "learn"

It never ceases to amaze me how some people learn something once then expect to never have to repeat the effort again in their lifetime. Unless your boss is, or becomes, the kind of architectural "boss" who spends full time outside the office searching for new work and never sets foot in the design studio, this guy is sealing his fate. You cannot hand out a resume today that lists ACAD 2009 and no REVIT. I can tell you where that resume will quickly end up. If for no other reason, Revit users are being hired to cover up for the "boss" who never learned it. Now he can go out and market the firm's (i.e. your) Revit capabilities.

This is one topic that this forum has covered a lot. You should research it a little. Time is on your side.

BTW: I am not a 29 year old recent grad. I learned Revit the hard way: on the job, starting with Revit 5.0. That was in 2003. My hair isn't even gray. It's white.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Funny and I agree 100%. I learned revit on my own as well starting on 9.1. He does want to learn but not on this project. I know, he will say the same thing every project. The owner is kind of on my side so I have a shot but do not want to go over my boss's head. Thanks again

Login to Give a bone

Just export the model and let him look around in it. If he's really up on ACA, it shouldn't take more than 5 min for him to figure that what you're able to export from Revit to ACA or Acad for that matter is generally **** and can't be manipulated by normal means.
    If he wants to do elevations in Cad, let him, just make sure he understands that you're still going to have to change the revit model.
    ie you're going to have to so the work on way or another. The old adage, lead, follow or get out of my way, but don't make me do it twice.
    We run into the same thing here, only it's with our designers that like sketch-up and don't want to learn revit. So the designers model it in sketch up, our techs model it in revit, and or detail type people draw it in cad. And our designers can't seem to figure out why the revit model doesn't match every change they've made to the sketch up model. You'd think people would want to do less work, not more. Just tell him to work smarter not harder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast