Thread: Swapping between Metric and Imperial versions of Revit Lt 2014

Login to Give a bone

Default Swapping between Metric and Imperial versions of Revit Lt 2014

I am a new-comer to Revit and am having to balance between project work and learning. Being UK based the installed version of Revit Lt 2014 incorporates metric units, families etc. It is a 64 bit version running under Windows 7.

I am using self teach documentation the best of which is from USA and therefore is presented using an imperial version. How can I switch between imperial and metric versions so that I can do both project work and follow a self teach program. While changing units is easy enough it does not provide a comprehensive swap between the standards and does not provide access to families/ elements in the appropriate units.

I suspect that I must make some changes to the installation parameters, but am wary because of problems I encountered when originally downloading the application. Furthermore, while still on the learning curve I will need to swap back and forth fairly frequently.

I would be most grateful for any guidance and advice that forum members have to offer.Thank you

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Swapping between Metric and Imperial versions of Revit Lt 2014

Welcome to the forums and the world of Revit.
    You can easily install the imperial content in addition to your metric content. From the windows control panel you can modify the installation by selecting Revit LT and then clicking on the Unistall/Modify option. From here you will be taken to the Revit installation dialogue where you'll be able to add the content. You can add the imperial folder ocations to your favourites so you can access families and templates from within the program.
    If the training materials come with datasets I would guess those would be included in imperial. For any exercises that start you from scratch just make sure that you select the appropriate template file to start and al the setting will be in imperial.
    Good luck!

Login to Give a bone

Swapping between measurement systems does not change the size of an object, nor should it! The way Acad scales objects so that they would APPEAR to be in another measurement system is outright wrong, in my opinion. That means a 900mm door in Revit will not become a 36" door by switching from metric to imperial. It becomes the imperial equivalent of 900mm. Likewise, a 2 foot ceiling tile converts to 609, not the standard 600.

When I worked in London, I had an American tape measure with me. I walked around the office measuring things, most of which were in place long before the UK switched to metric. All the young staff was amazed at how everything was actually round numbers in imperial. I used to say to them "There is a marvelous foreign system called English weights and measurements. You really ought to look it up, you know. It will make everything here make much more sense."

Login to Give a bone

Many thanks for your prompt interest and reply. Having implemented your suggestions it appears to have been successful. I'll robustly check it out tomorrow am GMT and report back.

What a great 1st experience of AUGI - I'm hooked.

Again thanks to all